Anybody over 6' and driving an SN95

How do you guys FIT in this car??? I was looking at a '98 this evening and tried it on for size. I'm 6'4" and felt like I was entombed. No leg room AT ALL. Is there a way to get some more space? modify the seat?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I am 6'4" I fit in my '97 better than most cars. I am comfortable, I have enough leg room and I am not looking at headliner.

Reply to
Brent P

"Brent P" wrote

Maybe I'm just too used to my '68 Ranchero with the bench seat. PLENTY 'O ROOM!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I'm 6'1" & I fit fine... perfectly actually. I love the way it is. I wish the seat would be a little more snug though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I was disappointed in the legroom in my '95 compared to my '66. There is a procedure I read about at the time that could move the seat back 2". It supposedly took six hours and required drilling and tapping new bolt holes. I decided against it.

Reply to
cat daddy

I did the seats in my 89 in less than 3 hours. I know there can't be that much difference.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I am 6-5 and have driven many SN95 Mustangs. Know real problems at all for me. I also weigh 240lbs.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

6 hours! holy shit what were they union workers?

I did mine in less than 2 and had few beers while shooting the shit with the buds along the way.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG
66 6F HCS wrote the following, which while being attributed to fact was none the less being challenged::

At 6'2" and 310 lbs, I reside in our 96 GT quite confortably, though having the option of another 2" in legroom would be quite nice.

Amazingly, the only car that I have ever owned that had too -Much- legroom was in fact my tiny little 1969 Triumph GT6 2+2 coupe. To push the seat all the way back in its tracks left me barely touching the pedals with the tips of my shoes, and the firewall was non-reachable.

My father-in-laws '97 F150 has nearly the same problem, it has a -Lot- of legroom, so much in fact that while not being too much, driving with the seat all the way back almost makes it.... too much....

Wm

Reply to
Will I Am

Dennis wrote :

I do fit in my '98 GT, but only with the seat tilted back a bit for more headroom. Legroom is scanty, so I may get around to the seat moving as per the above URL -- as soon as I work thru some items on my honey-do list.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Yeah, I couldn't understand what would require all the time. Even doing both seats, that's 3 hours a piece....... I could only have heard about it here.

Reply to
cat daddy

"Bob Willard" wrote

Just the thing I was looking for. I'm thinking of buying this '98. It's a V6 car with 78k miles. All the standard stuff with power seats. Here's a link to a pic.

He wants $5k for it. What d'ya think guys?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

AAAAAUUUGGGHHHHHH... too much yellow! Damn those wheels!!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
** How do you guys FIT in this car??? I was looking at a '98 this evening and ** tried it on for size. I'm 6'4" and felt like I was entombed. No leg room AT ** ALL. Is there a way to get some more space? modify the seat?

I'm 6'1", and it was TIGHT until I moved the seat back 1.00" using a mod I noticed on Mustangworld. Did both sides, just for laughs. Plenty of room now

- one inch makes a very big difference.

Also, I ripped that silly 'dead pedal' out and tossed it. I can now actually use that space to the left of the clutch pedal for something useful: to place my feet. Ahhhh...

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Yes that is what I was going to say too about the seat modification on Mustangworld. I am 6'1 and have daily driven an SN95 since 1996 - overall I would say it is pretty well designed and comfortable, but my left knee sure is shot from that clutch!!!

Reply to
Christopher Shea
** Yes that is what I was going to say too about the seat modification on ** Mustangworld. I am 6'1 and have daily driven an SN95 since 1996 - overall ** I would say it is pretty well designed and comfortable, but my left knee ** sure is shot from that clutch!!!

The cure for that is simple: stop using that clutch. I don't, but then again, I drive an 18-wheeler all day and don't use that one either, so I have lots of practice. If you think that little clutch in a Mustang is a pain, try wrestling the clutch in a Semi all day...day in, day out, year in, year out.

I would hope that legroom on the '05's is a bit more generous. We're not Asian for cryin' out loud!

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Well, what's worse is if your torso is taller, like for me. My brother is a little bit shorter than I am, our legs are the same length. He fits in cars I don't. I end up looking into the headliner above the windshield, my head hits the headliner, especially in cars with sunroofs. Convertibles, forget about it, I'm looking into the bar over the windshield.

I don't even fit well in German cars, let alone asian ones. When I went to the autoshow in feb, the best fit for me was that hot suburu with the flat 4. Problem is, there's no way I am paying over 30 grand for a car that has a interior out of a mid 80s japanese midline sedan.

Reply to
Brent P

My 99 Dodge Grand Caravan has too much room in it. I almost always go all the way back, then up two clicks.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper
2.3Sleeper wrote the following, which while being attributed to fact was none the less being challenged::

I guess its to each his own, as my 97 Dodge Grand Caravan needs two more clicks to be enough for me. We only use the thing for long trips, so I have to recline the seat back to actually get my legs from being splayed out to the sides...

Wm

Reply to
William

I have the same problem -- I'm 6' 5" but long torso. In my '03 GT 'vert modifying the seat to move further back wouldn't help, as sadly I had to settle for an auto as it's impossible to shift gears as the layout is so bad. I wanted a Cobra but had to settle for an auto, hence a GT. To shift gears I would have to twist right and forward every time. Alas, I'm not built like an Orangutan.

And yes, my eye level is the bar over the windshield unless I have the seat back reclined as far as it'll go.

I hope the new Cobra (2006?) will be better, or I'll have to go with a

350Z roadster, where the ergonomics are just great.

Strangely, I have driven a Z4 and a S2000, and I can drive both comfortably, although a bit tight... but I like V8's and am fond of the Mustang's old fashioned charm :-)

Reply to
Scudder