ABS Warning - 2000 Golf MKIV TDI GT

Hello,

I have just spent the weekend changing the rear bump stops and front shock absorbers on my 2000 Golf MKIV TDI GT. After much effort the job is done. One problem I have is that the ABS light is permanently on! I think that it started when I accidentally unplugged the front wheel sensors and brake pad wear sensor with the ignition on.

I have:

  1. Measured the resistance across each front wheel sensor terminal (1000 Ohms)
  2. Measured the DC voltage on the disconnected loom terminals which feed the wheel sensors (2.5V)
  3. Carefully cleaned the face of each sensor and the perforated disk
  4. Checked the condition of the wiring terminals and cleaned their contacts.
  5. Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery in an attempt to clear any memory.
  6. I drove up and down my drive slamming on the breaks to see if this would help.

No joy:( - Switching on the ignition without starting the engine still results in an ABS warning.

Unplugging either front wheel sensor causes the ESP warning light to illuminate. This is not too surprising as both the ABS and ESP systems use the wheel sensors. Interestingly, the passenger side results in an audible warning when the sensor is unplugged. The driver's side does not. Is this a clue? The fact that the computer seems to know that the wheel sensors are connected/disconnected (ESP light follows their connection status) makes me think that they are not broken.

My suspicion is that the ABS computer stores a fault condition, which needs to be reset. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am loathed to go to the dealer and pay for him to reset the computer or to read the fault code.

Thank you very much for your help,

Glen.

Reply to
glen

You gota' scan and clear the faults first! And then drive the car to see what comes back, if any!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks for your input. When you say scan and clear the fault, am I right to think the ABS light stays on after a fault occurs? Do you think I have damaged something? I presume the scan and clear can only be achieved with a vag com? Can you reset the ABS system? If so, can a couple of pins be shorted somewhere to force a reset?

Reply to
glen

Thanks for your input. When you say scan and clear the fault, am I right to think the ABS light stays on after a fault occurs? Do you think I have damaged something? I presume the scan and clear can only be achieved with a vag com? Can you reset the ABS system? If so, can a couple of pins be shorted somewhere to force a reset?

Reply to
glen

YEs

Do you think I have damaged something?

Maybe, maybe not... did you break anything?

I presume the scan and clear can only

Yes, or the dealer

If so, can a couple of pins be shorted somewhere to force a reset?

Not ssure how to answer this? It's possible... but only be concered with what you took apart on the car.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Some ABS fault conditions are cleared when you drive the car. Have you done that yet ?

Rgds

Reply to
Alec

Thank you for your help. A short drive up the road and the ABS warning cleared its self. Thanks again.

Reply to
glen