Air Conditioner Odor

I had always been vaguely aware of products intended to get rid of air conditioner odor, and I had read about some kits that allow you to install a fitting on the side of the evaporator housing so you can inject a foam-disinfectant directly. I asked at a local parts store about such a kit, and instead was shown a small spray can of stuff designed to be sprayed into the heater air intake -- at the base of the windshield -- seemed like it was worth a try, and was only $7, so what the hell, I gave it a try.

Short story: It works well. If you have odors coming from your air conditioner, get over to your local Car Quest and ask for the little can of stuff (I'm sorry, I don't have the name or part number with me now) and give it a whirl.

Three things: (1) Remove the cabin air filter first, and spray directly down into the blower. If you don't, all of the spray will simply end up in your filter -- you'll get the scent, but the disinfectants will never get to the evaporator and kill off the mildew. (2) The can recommends spraying for 10-12 seconds. I naturally assumed that spraying for 20 seconds would be twice as good -- maybe it is, but if you do, the scent is overpowering, like 55 gallons of cheap after-shave dumped into the car. Go with 10-12 seconds first, and if it doesn't work well enough, do it again in a week, after the scent has abated somewhat. (3) I'll bet your cabin air filter needs replacement, too -- mine was filthy, covered with dirt, leaves, seeds and all manner of crap, and had been nibbled by mice. $34 for the Bosch replacement filter at Auto Zone, $28 at NAPA. Steep, but filled with activated carbon, and it's worth it!

Reply to
Brian Running

none2u

a can of lysol (cheaper?) also works well for this.

Reply to
Matt B.

I have seen a similar spray, but it worked differently. You have to start your engine and wait until the aircon blows out cold air (put it at the coldest setting). You then have to set the system into recirculation mode. After that you place a spray can on the floor of the car, behind the passenger or drivers seat. 'open' the can and it starts spraying, quickly close the door and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

I was just thinkin' that $7 was a lot for a can of Lysol ;)

FWIW, I've noted that if the AC is slowly losing it's charge, one of the first things I notice is the smell before the cooling. I'm guessing the couple degrees it doesn't cool isn't enough for me to easily tell, but it's enough for whatever slime grows in there to tell...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I suppose it would -- I bought the Car Quest product (which, by the way, is called "PM") only because I was in there looking for the product for which you mount the fitting on the evaporator housing. I don't know if I could handle the smell of Lysol in the car, though, it reminds me of being violently sick with the flu when I was a kid, and my mom would spray the stuff everywhere.

Reply to
Brian Running

Leave the windows open when you do it. The odor goes away quickly.

That, or hang a pine tree from the mirror ;)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I think that something which kills the mold would be better. Adding a "pine tree" does not reduce the smell. I wonder if chlorine bleach would be good for the purpose.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Anything you spray into the blower comes out of the cabin vents in pretty large quantities, so I guess I wouldn't use anything that could damage materials, especially fabrics.

Reply to
Brian Running

You mean, like Lysol?

I think brunning was talking about the Lysol smell being a "sick smell". I was suggesting that he either leave the windows open when treating the AC, or hanging a pine tree to cover the smell.

Clorine bleach might work if it were sprayed in, but you've got the potential for bleaching the interior if droplets make it through. *I* wouldn't do it.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Reply to