anti Touareg sentiment

Again you on with the angle of trying to justify that an SUV doesn't suck because it's "less worse" than old vehicles. They're still miserable on all fronts when compared to other current automobiles.

As I weighed in initially the horrible fuel consumption on the Touareg was THE deciding factor against purchasing one.

What? How about just not driving vehicles that are rididculously unstable? There's no need to over-engineer anything if the problem doesn't exist in the first place.

Given it's a essentially a 4WD station wagon and it's from volvo that's not a surpise.

And your point? The GTi is a fine auto but that it's from the same mfg doesn't mean the Touareg is anywhere near as safe for it's occupants or other drivers.

Why should efforts be taken to given them anything? They waste fuel and cause visibility problems for other more responsible motorists. If they're not on the road they're not a problem.

Reply to
wkearney99

Maybe that's because other cars tend to get out of the way of multi-ton eighteen-wheelers...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Sure. =)

  1. Volkswagen Golf 2.0
  2. Volkswagen Jetta 2.0
  3. Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T
  4. Volkswagen Passat 1.8T
  5. Volkswagen Passat W8
  6. Volkswagen Toureag V8
  7. Volkswagen Golf-GTi 1.8T (mine)
  8. Audi A4 2.8 (B5)
  9. Audi A4 3.0 (B6)
  10. Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (B6)
  11. Audi S4 2.7T (B5)
  12. Porsche Cayenne
  13. Porsche 911 SC Targa
  14. Porsche 944 Turbo
  15. Porsche 928 GT
  16. GMC Yukon Denali
  17. GMC Sierra Denali pickup
  18. GMC Sierra w/ 5300 motor
  19. Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer w/ Triton 5.4
  20. Lincoln Navigator
  21. Lincoln Avaiator
  22. Ford Explorer (V6s and V8s, in two different generations)
  23. Ford F-150 Larait 5.4
  24. Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition
  25. Chevrolet Avalanche 1500
  26. Chevrolet Impala SS (1996)
  27. Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
  28. Pontiac Grand AM V6
  29. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (2000&2004)
  30. Honda Accord (I4 and V6, 3 different generations)
  31. Honda Pilot
  32. Honda Passport (aka - Isuzu Rodeo)
  33. Acura MDX
  34. Acura TL & CL TypeS (two different versions of the CL)
  35. Jagaur XJ8 (two different versions)
  36. Jaguar XJR
  37. Honda Civic Si (two different versions)
  38. Acura Integra GS-R (sedan)
  39. Acura RSX Type-S
  40. Ford SVT Focus 3-door
  41. Ford SVT Contour
  42. Toyota Camry (2 different generations, V6s)
  43. Lexus RX300
  44. Lexus RX330
  45. Lexus IS300 sedan
  46. Lexus GS300
  47. Infiniti Q45 (3 different versions)
  48. Infiniti G20
  49. Infiniti G35, coupe and sedan
  50. Infiniti I30
  51. Infiniti I35
  52. Mercedes Benz C320
  53. Mercedes Benz SL500
  54. Mercedes Benz S-class diesel (late 70s vintage)
  55. Mercedes Benz 500SEC (1990)
  56. Mercedes Benz ML500
  57. BMW X3 3.0
  58. BMW X5 3.0
  59. BMW X5 3.0
  60. BMW X5 4.4i
  61. Chevrolet Corvette (C4)
  62. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5)
  63. Toyota 4Runner SR5, Sport Edition (2003, V6 and V8)
  64. Toyota Seqioa
  65. GMC Envoy/Chevrolet Trailblazer
  66. Volkswagen Beetle TDi (90Hp)
  67. Volkswagen Jetta TDi (90Hp)
  68. Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
  69. Volkswagen "Super" Beetle

The only one of these cars I have *owned* is the 2002 GTi. Most of these though, belonged either to family members or friends of the family, and I have spent a lot of time in them, both riding AND behind the wheel. The few that were not owned by someone related or someone we know are cars that I've test driven (usually more than once) at length. I think I've got all of them listed but I started to get bored, so I'm not gonna try to add anything else.

My father puts anywhere from 35,000 to 40,000 a year on his cars, on average. His 4Runner is less than a year and a half old and has 53,000 miles and change on it. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Ummmm..........................sure, sure you did.

Reply to
D. Dub

Cool list...but I don't think I could do it! I have owned 20 or 21 VW's that were MY cars. My cousin and I also used to buy, re-do, and sell cars back when I was in college and for a while after. I must have been part owner of another 50 over those years. I then traveled a lot for a job, and drove a different rental sled 3 or 4 times a week. Drove limos for a while. Worked with my uncle driving trucks hauling cars between Florida and the north. Also parked cars at a fancy restaurant while a student, driving 50 different cars a night...torture testing a few when time permitted (NEVER valet park!)

My landmark cars?

Oldest car...1917 Ford woody wagon!

Fastest car...Corvette ZR-1...made my eyeballs flatten against the back of my head!

Car I had the most fun with...67 Beetle that had a LOT of engine and could pull the wheels off the ground off a start. Surprised a lot of people with that.

Ahhhh...memories.

Reply to
Tony Bad

You have an incredible memory! I'm not sure I can accurately list the cars I have actually owned over the past almost 30 years...I'd need a few days to remember them all!

Reply to
Tony Bad

I could break down for you exactly how I came to drive ANY of them. You can ask if you don't believe me. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Keep in mind though that it's a bit unfair, I have an advantage. I'm only 21, all of those cars have been driven by me between the time I turned 16 and now, and most of them belonged to family friends or family members. I bet you could list every car you've driven in the last 5 years without much thought. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Most of what has allowed me to drive so many of these cars is the fact that someone I knew or was related to owned one or more of them. For instance, all of the MBs I've driven (with the exception of the ML) belonged to my grandfather. So it was easy for me to get to drive all of them. But you guys have all OWNED more cars than me. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

no thanx...........I'd rather just not believe you.

Reply to
D. Dub

That's because you feel inadequate, isn't it? I'm sorry. =*( Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Ummm............. no.......................but it's just not likely that a

21 year old has driven that many cars. Unless you're a valet.....and that not really driving them.

Reply to
D. Dub

Like I said, I can explain how I drove ANY of them. Just ask and I can tell you. Moreover, as I've said several times, most of those cars belonged to family members of friends of the family. The 3 Q45s belonged to an uncle and grandfather. The 3 Jags belonged to an uncle and grandfather as well. Most of the MBs I drove belonged to my dad's dad. And a few of them even belonged to my parents. It's not a bullshit claim, and I can tell you how and where I drove any of them. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Hardly any of those cars can do 0-100kph in under 7 seconds... some can do it in the 7 second range tho.

  1. Volkswagen Golf 2.0 NO
  2. Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 NO
  3. Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T Almost
  4. Volkswagen Passat 1.8T NO
  5. Volkswagen Passat W8 Probably
  6. Volkswagen Toureag V8 Doubt it
  7. Volkswagen Golf-GTi 1.8T (mine) Unless you've worked on it no
  8. Audi A4 2.8 (B5) Doubt it
  9. Audi A4 3.0 (B6) Doubt it
  10. Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (B6) In your dreams
  11. Audi S4 2.7T (B5) Hell yah i'll believe this one
  12. Porsche Cayenne Not the V6 anyways
  13. Porsche 911 SC Targa Depends on age
  14. Porsche 944 Turbo Doubt it.. it's kinda old
  15. Porsche 928 GT Maybe, kinda a heacy Porsche tho
  16. GMC Yukon Denali NO
  17. GMC Sierra Denali pickup NO
  18. GMC Sierra w/ 5300 motor NO
  19. Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer w/ Triton 5.4 NO
  20. Lincoln Navigator NO
  21. Lincoln Avaiator NO
  22. Ford Explorer (V6s and V8s, in two different generations) NO
  23. Ford F-150 Larait 5.4 NO
  24. Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition NO
  25. Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 NO
  26. Chevrolet Impala SS (1996) Maybe, but I doubt it
  27. Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Hell NO
  28. Pontiac Grand AM V6 NO
  29. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (2000&2004) NO
  30. Honda Accord (I4 and V6, 3 different generations) NO
  31. Honda Pilot NO
  32. Honda Passport (aka - Isuzu Rodeo) NO
  33. Acura MDX NO
  34. Acura TL & CL TypeS (two different versions of the CL) NO
  35. Jagaur XJ8 (two different versions) Quite possibly
  36. Jaguar XJR Probably
  37. Honda Civic Si (two different versions) NO
  38. Acura Integra GS-R (sedan) NO
  39. Acura RSX Type-S Comes close probably
  40. Ford SVT Focus 3-door NO
  41. Ford SVT Contour NO
  42. Toyota Camry (2 different generations, V6s) NO
  43. Lexus RX300 NO
  44. Lexus RX330 NO
  45. Lexus IS300 sedan 7 sec range i'd say
  46. Lexus GS300 NO
  47. Infiniti Q45 (3 different versions) NO
  48. Infiniti G20 HAHAHA No
  49. Infiniti G35, coupe and sedan I'd think so
  50. Infiniti I30 NO
  51. Infiniti I35 Maybe
  52. Mercedes Benz C320 NO
  53. Mercedes Benz SL500 Yes, hopefully
  54. Mercedes Benz S-class diesel (late 70s vintage) NO
  55. Mercedes Benz 500SEC (1990) Probably
  56. Mercedes Benz ML500 NO
  57. BMW X3 3.0 NO
  58. BMW X5 3.0 NO
  59. BMW X5 3.0 NO
  60. BMW X5 4.4i NO
  61. Chevrolet Corvette (C4) Yes
  62. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) Yes
  63. Toyota 4Runner SR5, Sport Edition (2003, V6 and V8) NO
  64. Toyota Seqioa NO
  65. GMC Envoy/Chevrolet Trailblazer NO
  66. Volkswagen Beetle TDi (90Hp) NO
  67. Volkswagen Jetta TDi (90Hp) NO
  68. Volkswagen Karmann Ghia IN A WEEKEND... MAYBE not in 6-7 seconds
  69. Volkswagen "Super" Beetle HAHAHAHA Super meant MacPherson struts and like 5 more Hp but still NO

Practically none of these cars can do 0-60mph in under 7 seconds, some are close... but morel like the low 7-8 range... most of these cars will do it in the 8-10 second range.

These are all pretty average cars... even those Porsches, while once they were fast by todays standards the 944 and 928 aren't super quick to

100kph... Tho they are still amazing machines. The 911, you didn't say how old it is, the news ones can do it for sure.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

5.5(!) for the 944T, about the same for the 928GT. That doesn't mean you'll find one *today* that can do it...

In the 7's IIRC, not below 7.

The original version was in the very low 7s - maybe even high 6s IIRC, don't know about the others.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah...the good old days. I remember them well. For four years when I was in school at the UGA I drove my 65 40HP Beetle (Werner) back and forth between Silver Spring MS and Athens GA on I-85 and I-95 dicing with the semis (fast lane downhill, slow lane uphill). Old Werner could only manage about 71 mph topped out and that was downhill! Amazing the things you could do when you were young, huh? And even more amazing was that it all seemed perfectly natural.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

huh?

the 944 Turbo was a hell of a car and still is...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The cars that I've spent the most time with can. The SUVs are excused from having sub 7-second 0-60 times because they're utility vehicles.

180Hp Jetta 1.8Ts with the manual will pull about 7.0-7.1. I find this very good, and acceptable for a compact car at this price point.
6-speed W8s will dom it in around 6.4.

Actually, they've been clocked around 7.2, very close.

Actually, 180Hp GTis will pull 0-60 between 6.5 and 6.8 seconds. Car and Driver and R&T back these numbers up.

5-speed 2.8 B5s do it in around 7.1

6-speed 3.0s can do it in 6.9

5.5 seconds according to C&D

Under 6 seconds, actually. CHeck the net.

They'll pull in the low 6s. The slightly newer GTS can do it in under 6.

Actually, the 2004 Grand Prix GTP can pull off 0-60 in around 6.8 seconds. It's very powerful, check the net.

2004 Accord V6 sedan in 7.1 seconds. The 6-speed coupe is supposed to be quicker still.

The CL and TL Type S will both be 7.0 or lower. You need to check your numbers.

Yea, I should say so. 0-60 in 5.1

Actually been clocked at about 7.2

6.3, actually.

2004 Q45 can break 7.

5.9-6.3 seconds, depending on if it's coupe or sedan, manual or auto.

These only re-inforce my poit.

Well, again, I'm exempting the SUVs because large utility behicles are held to different standards. Most of the cars I've driven will pull off 0-60 around 7.0 seconds or less. The few that couldn't were mostly vintage or ecnonmy cars. None of this really has anything to do with the fact that the VW TDis are slower than shit.

The 944 Turbo can easily pull off 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and the 928 GT is very close. They're both still far quiaker than the average of 2004.

It's certainly the fastest car in a straight line. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Rob Guenther