Anyone else had problems with OEM keyless in A3 cars?

Guys,

The OEM keyless system in my 98 GTI (not the Code Alarm unit, the... other one?) has a variety of problems. Generally, I have a hard time programming the remote control units. I have to go through the procedure a couple of times. Then, when I do them programmed, they work intermittently. Sometimes I can lock or unlock the car or pop the trunk for a couple of days with no problems - except that only one feature will work at a time - ie I get one of unlocking, locking, or trunk release, but never two or three. Since my battery explosion the other day, I need to now reprogram the remote units, since the system must have been reset by the long term loss of power (several hours before I go the new battery in). I am pretty sure the control unit in the car was not damaged, as all of key-in-based features tied into that box work (key-in lock, unlock, arm, disarm, close sunroof).

So, the short of it is - am I the only person having such a hard time getting the keyless system to work right? Is there a componenet of this system that goes bad - maybe a sensor at a door, trunk, hood, etc.? Has anyone tried the Auto-Lok aftermarket system for these cars, or maybe a different brand of system?

Let me know. Thanks, ccp

Reply to
ccp

I have never heard of one going bad but I guess its possible Maybe this website will help you....

Stevan

Reply to
Stevan

Thanks for the response. This web site is actually the site I used to install a keyless unit in my sister's 97 Jetta. It has the same programming issue as my 98 - it won't.

As an update, I tried programming my 98 again this morning and it worked. I realized I had only programmed one remote though, so I tried doing the whole procedure over again, but this time with two remotes. Neither would program...

I am going to order the Auto-Loc system today and see how it works.

ccp

Reply to
ccp

Does the keyless module have an "antenna?" I seem to recall some discussion about how it is tricky to figure out where to attach the "antenna" for these devices. If your installation doesn't have an antenna, that may explain the quirky behavior when trying to program. Just a thought.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Please give us a followup when you get it working.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I started out by ordering an Autoloc system, which is specifically advertised as a system for 95 and later VWs. The instructions are horrible, the remotes are very cheap, and the wiring harness does not save you from having to cut a bunch of wires. So, I am sending this unit back. I can't see how they can advertise this as a system just for VWs...

So, I am still looking for the unit I want to use...

ccp

Reply to
ccp

Thanks for the info. Those remotes looked cheap even in the tiny web images.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I am going to take a look at a Clarion "Ungo" system. It looks like a pretty good system - since Clarion makes a lot of OEM systems, they probably have pretty good aftermarket systems - and it has some really nice features. They are pricey though, and you still have to do a lot of wire splicing and add some extra relays... oh well.

ccp

Reply to
ccp