Arcing at the top front coil wire (#6)

In foggy weather I get arcing at the top front coil wire boot (#6) to the coil pack housing. That's about 1/4 inch. The arc does not go thru the boot; the arc is from the non-wire end of the boot, and it hugs the surface of the coil pack's potting compound. Coil pack was replaced long ago. '95 VR6.

Would packing the boot with dialectic grease potentially solve this?

Would getting new plug wires as a way to get a new boot be the normal solution, and is it usually successful?

Other?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Frank

Here's a good link

chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html

I did the 'epoxy' fix myself a couple of years ago on my 1995 VR6 using JB Weld epoxy. It lasted until the following spring (1 year ago).

This year, I had the exact same symptom you describe and I decided to do something a little different. After cleaning (use alcohol, not water!) the coilpack and roughing the surface with fine grit emery cloth, I applied a thin layer of Black Silicone RTV to the surface of the pack at the base of the six boots, being careful not to get RTV where the boots need to go. Additionally, I 'caulked' all around the snap-on plastic cover where the arcing was occurring. You can see this if you take the coil pack out. There are three bus bars underneath the snap-on plastic cover and that is where the arc was shooting to. good luck!

Reply to
Mark