Automatic Vanagon Must Shift to Start

Well, my 91 Automatic Vanagon has a starting problem. About 65% of the time (and growing) I go to start her up there is no noise or cranking or anything from the engine area. The electric works fine at this time.

If I shift it into N and then try to start it it works sometimes.

If I shift it into N and then back into P it works sometimes,

If I shift it into N and rock and roll the van for a while it may work if all else fails.

Any idea where my weak link is here? The battery tests fine. Is there a sensor that detects which gear you are in allowing you only to start the van in P or N that could be going?

Anybody seen this problem in an Automatic Vanagon before?

Have a good weekend, Rob

Reply to
ohiocityjunk

Can you say 'neutral safety switch'? Classic symptoms.

Reply to
PeterD

typically the start inhibit switch is inside the car at the base of the auto lever. Will only let the starter activate only in P or N.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet