85 Vanagon Running Rich and creating other problems

I have a few problems that all relate back to the same problem of my engine running rich. I can start my van fine first thing in the morning, and drive it as long as I want to (running terribly rich), but if I stop the engine at all, it will not start again until the engine has cooled down. In order to start the van again I have to unplug the big plug that goes into the fuel pump relay box (Black box in the upper left side of the engine compartment) have one person turn the key and as soon as the engine kicks in I have to plug that plug back in before the idle stops. My thoughts here, and I am by no means an expert (I don't even know if I qualify as an ameture), with the engine running so rich, it thinks it is flooded and that's why I cant start it again until it cools down. I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone might have on what I can do to cure my poor van. Thanks, Peter

85 Vanagon Westy 78 Aircooled transporter
Reply to
Peter