being dragged kicking and screaming into the (late) 2th century...

I've vowed never to own anything newer than a '95. since I don't care for computers ..on my desk or in my car, but reality is setting in. Vacuum gauges, compression and leak down testers and the oh-so rare (anymore) oscilloscope is my domain of expertise.

SO for my '95 Passat, which is OBD I, but has an OBD II type interface, I am struggling to decide what I need to read the codes that it is starting to flash. Which VAG-COM cable and software do I need? Is there a generic scanner that will tell me what is going on, so I can use it on whatever I end up having to buy next? Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

I would guess the Keyseries.

What kind of Hyacinths?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Aye, need to change that, don't I? Sure, the ES has gone to her new home, and been replaced by a 142 ( ugh...it was a dog, and gone) and now a 122 wagon...which was also a mistake. I love my round fenders, but these two were not my best choices.

Thus its back to the daily driver Passat, which may or may not stay, she's getting to the age she need work, and I don't yet have the electronical tools to dignose..tus my question. If I find it's more than I want to deal with, it may be time to upgrade, so I'd hope whatever scanner I buy can 1) diagnose this car: and 2) be useful on whatever OBD-II I buy next, should I decide to throw the towel in on the Passat.

So I don't think the VAG-COM works on much but VW and related products does it? Is there a generic tool that will help me on this odd-ball one year only OBD-I?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1968 Volvo 122 wagon (Buster) 1970 Volvo 142 (Musturd)
Reply to
Ron

You sold the ES?

nate

R> Aye, need to change that, don't I? Sure, the ES has gone to her new

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yeah, and it's not far from you...somewhere in Georgetown, some lawyer dude. It was a hell of a ride Nate, more car than I am driver..sadly it's probably even more car than the new driver is, but his wife thinks it's "cute". Go rescue it!

Going even further off topic, the machinist is taking his sweet time with the 185 OHV Black Bart Special for the truck. 6 months to bore 6 holes .030" is a bit tiresome, but he's good and busy building Prancing Ponies, Jag you R's, Ducs, 300 SLs, and stuff, so a mundane Studie 6 is way back in the pack.

When it's done, I should be getting a whopping 135 HP . Whatever, I like 'em odd.

Didja ever unearth your driveway?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1968 Volvo 122 wagon (Buster) 1970 Volvo 142 (Musturd)
Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Jim Behning

HA They don't have the tools to scan a '95 VW AFAIK

You can get some vag-com clones from ebay for about $20 or less shipped to you. ebay item # 160127388726 $17.00USD shipped to you Then try out the ross-tech.com software free before paying $99 to activate it, if you need to. You will need a computer though, laptop is preferred.

I use my original ross-tech vag-com on my '91 Passat to troubleshoot transmission problems and engine problems when and if they occur. It does connect and I think your '95 Passat will tell you more with the vag-com tool.

BTW Come on over to the Passats group on Yahoo and bring your post.......the water's fine!

Or, just send an email to " snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com"

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1