Building a car from scratch using only parts from your local dealers parts department

Just as the subject suggests...

Me and a friend were talking a little while back. We came to the subject of dealer parts prices. I mentioned, what do you think the markup would be to buy every single part(down to the individual nuts and bolts) to build a car from the ground up using only parts purchased at a dealer. I searched for the better part of 20 minutes and found no previous attempt or even mention. It would be interesting to find out. Thanks Jerritt

Reply to
misterjbeing

I don't know what the cost would be, but Johnny Cash has described the results of such an endeavor:

And Bill Patch actually built the vehicle in question.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

I remember seeing something that said it would cost like 5x as much to do this.

Prob even more by now.

Some parts would probably be unavailable even as NOS.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

As I recall someone figured that out when my car cost about $3,000 new and the parts totaled about $12,000 new, not assembled. That was about 1970.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe