Cabrio parts

Just a quick question. My girlfriend wants a cabrio and I was thinking we might switch from a golf and a Toyota pickup to a cabrio and the Toy. Howevere a friend said that the Cabrios have a lot of cabrio specific parts seperate from their Golf counter parts. Is this true? I kind of doubted it because they're basically just golfs with reinforced pillars and no roofs. Oh and I'm thinking of the A1's not the A3's

Thanks, DruG

Reply to
DruG

Mechanically, A1 Golfs (Rabbits) and Cabriolets should be identical. The Cabbie may have some upgrades such as stiffening bars, oil coolers, tachometers and other gauges but these are all pretty much bolt-on "in addition to" items rather than "instead of" when compared to the Golf.

Reply to
tylernt

Well, except that later A1 Cabriolets were contemporary with the A2 cars, for which there wasn't a drop top. There were some mechanical upgrades to the Cabs in that period which mean that, while they're A1s, they have special parts. This is especially true in the engine, where additional fuel economy and pollution control demands meant some unusual engine parts under the A1 hood. I believe that the last of the A1 Cabs had Digifant fuel injection, as opposed to the variants on the Jetronic CIS that the earlier cars had.

This is sort of important, because the CIS systems, even in KE-Jetronic form, are way easier to work on. The Digifant will give you better fuel economy and emissions results, though, if well maintained.

Andrew Sullivan

Yes but "unusual" in that they were stuck to an A1 (e.g.: Digifant injection in an A1...Cabriolet was the only animal to get it). However in and of itself it's not that unusual either. It's pretty much the same 1.8 8V Digifant engine as found in the Mk2s. Pretty much any gas 8V VW (A1 or A2) should still be easy to find parts for.

Reply to
Matt B.

Right. All I meant was that you can't assume the Cab is like any other Rabbit or whatever you like. But you're exactly correct that, aside from the special convertible-only stuff (there's those knee bolsters, for instance, which seem to be there so that your knees can hurt after a front-end collision. Although I think they were also on the door-mounted shoulder belt cars. I wish the U.S. Congress would stay out of legislating particular solutions to problems), the Cabs are pretty much like every other car of the series.

Andrew Sullivan

Doesn't apply in your case, but I just replaced two power window regulators in a '96 Cabrio. They're HIDEOUSLY more expensive than those found in a Golf.

Reply to
Bill Kearney