Cannot reinstall drive flange even with swqeeze tool (Jetta 87)

I replaced my rear drive flange oil seal on the transmission (manual trans., passenger side) and made myself a pusher tool similar to the VW201 in my manual. But however much I try to compress the spring it pushes about the thickness of a coin too little in and bends the tool at this point (including an adjustable wrench).

It is not possible to install the clip anymore.

Any ideas what can be wrong or what I can do? Eveything looks normal to me. I checked the spring and the rests of the spring but no result.

Please send a CC to my email when responding, so I don't miss it.

Thanks a lot. Thomas.

PS: the only strange thing I know was that my last shop repair (clutch and rear seal) changed the alignment of my car by 1/4 inch (~1 cm) wider left and right and they did not admit that they did something wrong - didn't even do the alignment!

Reply to
Thomas