Clutch? Transmission?

Hello all. I was on my way home from work last night (in my '84 Jetta GL, turbo diesel) and went to downshift at a set of lights. I let off the clutch and I heard a "clunk" and then nothing. I rolled forward and the front end of the car shook until I stopped. I tried to release the clutch again and it shook and stopped. So, I pushed the car back to a safe spot and ended up leaving it for the night, because a friend of mine arrived and offered me a drive home. This morning I started it up and put it in gear, nothing happened. It didn't move, but made a thunking noise. So, we started to push it into a parking lot, to leave until I can get it towed or something.

Anyway, I realized I left it in gear, not that it mattered. Putting it in gear (1st, 2nd, etc.) didn't do anything to hold it back anyway. I parked it, put it in gear and it started to roll backwards, until I put the emergency brake on. So, there it sits, waiting on my return.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? The only forewarning was that a few times, while driving, it seemed as though the clutch became engaged and the engine would rev up. I'd let off the gas pedal and it would right itself. I was going to be making an appointment this week to get it looked at, but it's too late now.

Anyway, if anyone's can help with a diagnosis, I'd be more than grateful. I'd like to know what parts to get before I make an appointment at the garage.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

Did you notice any fluid under the vehicle? Sounds like the transmission to me. :-(

I have seen 4 of them exhibit those symptoms. I even bought an 88 Jetta with those symptoms, slapped in another transmission and sold that car. :-) Your options are open if you need another trans, like the A1s, A2s and maybe even A3s. Now you have to pick the gearing that you want for your turbodiesel.

I could be wrong though! later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave,

Thanks for the info. There was/is no fluid underneath the vehicle. I've got a guy that's got quite a few jetta's, from A1's upward, so I'm hoping he's got some good news for me.

I'd hate to give up the car at this point. I've gotten a year out of it with now problems (until now). Everything else is running fine, and only 200,000 km on it.

Anyway, thanks again.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Currie

CV joint?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Well someone already suggested CV joint. You can tell that by starting engine putting it in gear and watching to see if one of the flanges on the transmission moves but the car doesn't. Be careful because the car may want to start moving if you stand in front of it! 8^o

It could be clutch maybe!

Fingers crossed for you that it is one of the above! But the trans is not that bad either! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Could be CV, clutch, or trans. Possible stripped hub but not likely. I have a '90 Cabriolet that I'm parting out if it's the same (I think it is). I'm above Atlanta; if you're close let me know. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

If by "above Atlanta" you mean north of Maine (I'm in NB, Canada), then yeah, I'm close. haha. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm taking it to a garage hopefully on the weekend, to get them to look at it. He's a german guy that works pretty much only on VW's, so I know he knows his stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the info (everyone).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Currie