compatible auto transmissions for 97 jetta gls

greetings all, would a 97 jettta glx auto trans be compatible with my 97 jetta gls?
thanks, tyler

GLS and GLX is a trim package designation. Sunroof, radio, power windows, seats and such. It is not a drivetrain designation. If it helps transmissions from Golfs should be the same. http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Tranisite/Volkswagen.htm#Jetta
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:30:43 -0800 (PST), Leftoverair

On Feb 17, 6:44 am, Jim Behning

thanks jim, i appreciate it!
Will some Passats have the same transmissions also? I though that most '97 Jetta GLX had the VR6 engine in it and the GLS had the 4 cyl. <8o)

What do I know. Don't the Passats mount their 4 cyliner engines in a way that makes servicing everything an exercise in removing the front end of the car? That alternate mounting means the transmission would be useless in a Golf/Jetta unless your driveshafts attach to the car under the front and rear bumpers. ;-) I am not a mechanic on that car. Just the ones I have owned. Never saw a VW V6 I wanted to have.
I guess if the person who posed the question had mentioned his engine someone would not be playing the advanced educated guessing game. ;-) Maybe that would be like asking if the V6 in a Mustang GT will work in something else.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:20:21 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"

lol You know a lot Jim!! ;-)
I don't care to own another transverse-engine car, but VW decided to put in the engines in the 1990-1997 Passats just like in their Golfs and Jettas. So they actually share a lot of the same powertrain parts AFAIK. Before 1990 and after 1997 the engines were inline with the transmissions behind them. Now Audi is starting to install transverse engines in some of their models. :-(
YES the 1998 and up Passats usually require the front end to be put in the "Service Position" which means pulled away from the engine maybe every 100,000 miles. Now the 1993-1997 Passats with the VR6 engine almost require the engine to be removed in order to replace the little water pump. Easy to touch but not enough room to pull that out without lifting that engine up almost 8-10". 8^)
I have even heard of someone installing an earlier (88-92) Jetta 4 cyl 3 speed automatic in place of their (94-98) Jetta 4cyl 4-speed automatic. Some don't like the transmissions being controlled by electronics, especially when problems surface!

There are times I enjoy the fact that I am only a mechanic on my cars, lawn mowers, tractors and bicycles.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:28:48 -0600, "dave AKA vwdoc1"

On Feb 18, 7:49am, Jim Behning

sorry jim. the engine in my gls is the 2.0 4cyl, hope that helps.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:35:38 -0800 (PST), Leftoverair

Well that is easier as there must be many 4 cylinder automatics out there. Refer to the transmission web site listed or any other of your choosing. I would imagine you want a tranny that was behind a 4 cylinder so there is no issue. See this link for the tranny 101 lesson. http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Tranisite/to_identify_you%20VW%20transmission.htm http://www.justveedubs.com/transcodes.htm http://www.zelek.com/diagram%20&%20Charts/diagramlist.htm