Cruise control cuts out when operating indicators

On my Skoda Octavia (same modules as VW SEAT & AUDI) if I operate the cruise control when turn indicating (as you might when overtaking on a motorway), the cruise control fails to operate & therafeter will not work at all until engine shutdown / switch off. On restarting all is well.

Skoda man is scratching his head - I do a lot of long distance & love the CC, can anyone help please.

Thanks

Mal

Reply to
malawayfromhome

Wild guess but maybe bad grounds on the tail light assembly? Might be back-feeding current to the brake light switch as a ground.

Like I said.....just a guess!

Does it fail when you use either the left or right, or only one? What about when you turn on the light switch?

Can you use an adapter and plug into the ECM to see what is happening maybe?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Not a bad one...I'd look there too among the first things to check. If this is the problem, chances are you also probably get a strange light show at the taillamps if you have the signals on while stepping on the brakes.

Reply to
Matt B.

Don't know jack about a Skoda, but on my A3 (1995) Jetta the wiring harnesses are combined. If something's been rubbing in the steering column you could get shorts that are only 'active' when the directional signals are operated. Turning the steering wheel may also be what causes the wires to rub and touch, since you didn't say you'd eliminated that.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I had the identical problem on my '01 Nissan Pathfinder (except that the cruise control would still work if I hit the cruise button again, no shutdown required). It started happening the morning after I replaced the incandescent brake lights with LED bulbs. Turns out somewhere there was just a little leakage current between the turn signal circuit and the brake light circuit. With incandescents, the bulb would pull the voltage way low and no problem. With LEDs, the voltage was held at the forward voltage of the LED chain (and the brake LEDs glowed ever so slightly when the turn signals were on (it took a dark garage to see this)) and that forward voltage was enough to tell the cruise control computer to disengage.

I replaced one of the LED brake light bulbs in the center high-mounted stop light ("third brake light") with an incandescent, and all is well for many months.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet