Diesel fuel prices

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but could someone in the know, explain why deisel fuel is so insanely high? And why the professional truck driver's and the railroads, aren't screaming their brains out? It's driving the price of everything we use out of reach! Thank you , PH

Reply to
Paul L. Hidey

none2u

Stop bitching like a little girl. In Europe diesel is now close to $7 a gallon.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Its certainly cheaper ot make diesel compared to gasoline of any grade. At least according to a local educational TV channel I recently viewed a program about similar. If true, its either supply/demand thing, or someone's or someones' making a fortune for no apparent reason than control of the market. Or both, the former an interim excuse for the latter.

Reply to
Jonny

Europe is very generic term. Prices vary not only from country to country, but also region to region with a country. At least that was my resulting viewpoint after my 20 year military tour and many visits to many European countries.

Gender specific put-down not needed irregardless. But, apparently, that's all you got to substantiate.

Reply to
Jonny

Describe insanely high. Do you mean like the over 1,000,000,000 the CEO of Exxon got for retirement?

Do you mean in the last few weeks, months years? In what part of the world? Compared to gasoline or what?

Have you noticed that wars always increase the price of oil.

You should be seeing a very small increase in the price of diesel in the US do to the change over to the newer clean ULSD fuels that are now coming on line.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

PH:

I know what you mean. I remember when diesel hit 99 cents a gallon and all the independent truckers went on strike and parked their trucks in protest. Now we don't hear a thing at 3 times that price. Maybe we have all been brainwashed by the news media into expecting/accepting higher prices just because of world events? Crude oil prices certainly play a major role in fuel pricing, but there are profit yield activities going on the really piss me off. Like buying gas at $2.95 one afternoon, and the next day it is $2.83! And then the next morning it is $3.05! We use to see prices barely move weeks at a time! Profiteering pure and simple. Until we find an alternative, it will continue because we love our cars. Go read the book, "Who Killed the Electric Car". Very telling.

TEMiller

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

Do we have to have *this* discussion again?

- A large portion of the price of fuel in Europe is set by taxes

- The nations of Europe are democracies

Therefore: If the people of Europe really wanted more reasonable fuel prices, they could have them. (Of course, they'd have have to bear the cost somewhere else, either in higher income/VAT/other taxes, or in reduced government spending.)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

It's called greed. Technically, diesel should be cheaper because the process of preparing it is less extensive.

As far as truck drivers not complaining, that seems to be the pattern these days. Very few have the gumption to publicly speak up on any issue.

Reply to
Papa

I don't think that is right anymore, today's diesel fuel is at a completely different level then it was 10 years ago. The sulphur contents have gone down, they added lubricity additives to compensate for the absence of sulphur and anti-foam additives are allso added.

More and more companies offer special diesel fuel like Shell V-power Diesel for instance, it contains a (I don't know the percentage) part synthetic diesel which is created from natural gas.

A modern diesel engine would NOT like the diesel fuel the made 15 or 20 years ago.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Reply to
none2u

Do we have to have *this* discussion again?

A large portion of the price of fule in the USA is set by taxes

The states of the USA are democracies

Therefore: If the people of the USA really wanted more reasonable fuel prices, they could have them. (Of course, they'd have have to bear the cost somewhere else, either in higher income/state/road/sales taxes or in reduced goverment spending.)

Will Smith

Reply to
Peter Parker

USA is very generic term. Prices vary not only from state to state, but also region to region with a state. At least that was my resulting viewpoint after my 20 year military tour and many visits to many USA states.

Gender specific put-down not needed irregardless. But, apparently, that's all you got to substantiate.

Jonny come lately.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Not exactly. You start with so much oil. Simple distillation will give you X amount of gasoline and Y amount of diesel type products and Z amount of other stuff. Since we don't use the product in convenient ratios, those ratios are pushed one way or another. Normally during the winter when more heating oil is used it gets pushed towards diesel - heating oils so they becomes more expensive in the summer the reverse happens. In addition the US is now going through an adjustment due to ULSD (lower sulfur diesel) so there will be a natural small rise along with a bigger rise to go towards CEO retirements. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks guys for all your answers to the topic. They were all very credible and insightful. I even enjoyed the one about bitching about the situation.(Lol) It does give us something to think about. Thanks again, PH

Reply to
Paul L. Hidey

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

Not nearly as large as in Europe, which is why gas only costs $3-$3.50 here.

But I'm not the one complaining about the price of gas. I think the price of gas in the US is pretty reasonable. It's always these Europeans that we hear saying "quit whining - gas costs $7 over here!" Well, there's a *reason* it costs $7.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah, yeah, OK. I don't know of any direct democracies in the world. All "democracies" are in fact democratic republics.

If your countrymen aren't voting out the representatives that they don't like, then that's the fault of your (and my) countrymen, not the representatives. The one saving grace of democracy as a form of government is that the people end up with the government they deserve, more or less.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Fuel prices in general are high now, but didn't (like back in the 70's and early 80's) diesel used to be roughly the same price as regular and get you better mileage? Now it seems to track more with premium.

Doesn't seem like the bang/buck is as good anymore vs. regular gas.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean