New Diesel Fuel and MPG

Greetings,

Has anyone else out there noticed an increase in their average mileage since the introduction of the new ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel?

I track my mileage religiously and commute with mixed driving conditions almost daily. With the old fuel (500ppm sulfer) I was getting a constant

18.5 to 19.0 mpg with my '04 Chevy 2500HD crewcab with the Duramax and Allison 5-speed auto. Since the advent of the new fuel (15ppm sulfer) I've been getting 19.5 to 20.0 mpg with the same driving. The only thing that has changed is the fuel and maybe the temperature has cooled down some (today's high will only be 80F). I did not notice these increases in mileage the last two winters so I don't think it's the weather. My new tires (which are slightly larger) have not been on my truck long enough for me to measure my mileage yet during my next fill-up.

Anyone else see the same thing?

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

You have it backwwards.

There is less energy content in the ULS diesel

Energy Content: a.. In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal). a.. The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.

GeekBoy

This is true. His MPG increase is likley from drivetrian breaking in a bit more overall.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You can also get better mileage by changing oils in vehicle to Amsoil Synthetics. We swear by this oil, and will never switch as long as we drive a vehicle. Temperatures run so much lower, and better mileage, and running performance. Check it out at the web-site below. Carol

Reply to
dnysis

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:11:18 +0000, dnysis got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Fixx0red yer post, troll.

HTH!

HAND

FOAD.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Would never use anything but the best, that is why we are using AMSOIL!!!!Why change every 3 to 4 thousand miles when you can run on good oil for 35,000thousand miles?

Reply to
dnysis

Off the top of my head; Because it isn't API approved. Because it isn't ACEA approved. Because it isn't ILSAC approved. Because it isn't GM approved. Because it isn't Ford approved. Because it isn't Chrysler approved. Because it isn't VW approved.

Because not one single testing body or OEM has approved the use of spamsoil in their engines.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
none2u

Well I must be an idiot then because we have been running it in our vehicles for 4 years now, with no problems and both vehicles have over 160,000 miles on them.] So what does that tell you? You really should read up on this oil before you say things bad about it. Have you ever tried it? How can you rate something you know nothing about? There are some people that have had the same oil in vehicle for over 100 thousand miles on the same oil, they just pull samples and change filters. That's what smart people do now days. Do you know any other oil that has a guarantee with it? This oil does! We are a believer in this oil and always will be.

Reply to
dnysis

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 04:00:13 -0500, none2u got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

message

Exactly!

With the amount of work that goes through those engines and the abuse that liquid has to suffer, I would not trust anything but regular changes. I've heard people like syn oil, but in my experience - all with cars/trucks which have reached well over 100K miles in few years - I'll stick with dinosaur juice.

It is kind of like those who say K&N is the way to go, because you don't have to change them for 1,000,000 miles. Well, I think I'm better off - for my needs - changing my paper filter every 5K - 10K miles. At least I know what isn't going in my intake.

These Amsoil peeps remind me of the Herbalife and Amway groupies - anything to make a buck, regardless of whether the product is good for you.

Thanks!

Reply to
PerfectReign

Not a single thing. I have customers who's vehicles have many more miles than you cite that never saw a single drop of Amsoil.

I did. No approvals as I said earlier.

I don't need to shoot myself between the eyes to know that it will kill me.

Easy, the Amsoil site only mentions that their oils are "recommended." They know better then to state that their oils have an industry or OEM performance approval when they in fact do not. Amsoil plays on the fact that there are few people who actually understand the difference between "recommended," "accepted," "meets and/or exceeds," and "approved."

I'll go you one better, I can show you three sitting behind a Freightliner dealership waiting for engines.

Ah yes... If we don't run our oil for 100,000 miles, we are not "smart."

That guarantee is worthless given the hoops Amsoil will make a customer jump thru to prove a claim.

I have no doubt that your indoctrination was performed very thoroughly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Greetings,

While I tend to agree that a well-maitained motor and drivetrain will perform better given time and care, somehow I don't really believe that over the course of about 3 months (when I first started seeing the new fuel) I am suddenly seeing a 5% increase in mileage on a motor with 54,000+ miles on it just because it's "breaking in a bit more overall." Nothing different has been done to my truck in the past 4,000+ miles (oil, filters, etc.) except the new fuel and my driving habits are still the same, so I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

It crossed my mind that although the ultra low sulfer fuel has slightly fewer BTU's per gallon, perhaps having less sulfer allows the motor to run cleaner/more efficiently thereby increasing my mileage slightly. But that is only a theory based on my observed results, but I can't prove it right or wrong. Perhaps it's something as simple as the slightly cooler, moister weather lately that diesels seem to love.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Wrong thinking. All that extra content that used to be in diesel make the engine run better. Before the green pump handles they used to be yellow (the fuel containers still are) because the large amount of sulphur diesel had. Mexico still makes high suphur diesel and people say it's a lot better than the diesel in this country in performance wise. I need to go try it soon.

One could gain that extra power back by pouring some motor oil into their tank. I have heard stories about truckers pouring in 5-10 gallons of used motor oil in their 200 gallon tank, though I don't think I would want to put used crud into my engine and taking a VERY expensive chance of clogging the injectors.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I had seen a site where a guy posted test results of natural and syntheic oils. 20k miles each, and testing and changing filter at each 5k. Even posted the results of the oil anyalist online. At 20k the natural had to be changed and all its benefits had worn out. The syntheic quickly at first dropped it protective properties, faster than the natural oil. Then it leveled off and eventually the synthetic stabilized and laster longer the the natural. It's been several months and can't remember were I saw it.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Yes you have been smoking crack! OMFG Try readingup on diesel. Sulphur is NOTHING like lead content. The process of removing the sulphur removes the lubricating properties of diesel.

Take this Chinese advice: "It is better to remain quite and look stupid than to talk and remove all doubt."

Reply to
GeekBoy

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:24:09 +0000, dnysis got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Yeah, based on your newsreader, and choice of operating system, I'd agree.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Maybe you could give me some cash so I could buy a new computer.

Jerk>

Reply to
dnysis

Why selling all that AMSOIL is not enough?

Reply to
GeekBoy

My f-i-l never changed oil. Never a problem, for him that is. He also never kept a car very long. As soon as one of his children bought a car he bought a new one. Never found out about those who bought his cars/trucks afterwards.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

WHAT???????????????? Lead content was a lubricant, just as th sulphur is. Therefore it IS like the lead content of leaded gasoline. The conversion of ags to unleaded has required new materials in engine building to account for the loss of lubricating properties of lead. Diesel engines will now have to be rebuilt to achieve the same long running times they are used to because of the loss of lubricant. STUPID GOVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony