Digifant hesitation/stumbling at low temperature, long drives

My '92 Golf (1.8L Digifant) has exactly the hesitation/stumbling problem reported below. The problem has occurred several times on long trips with high humidity and temperatures below freezing. The car runs fine from a cold start at temperatures down to -30C, and the problem only develops after driving over 100km on the highway. It's been suggested the problem is due to ice crystals clogging the air filter, and I agree this would explain the symptoms. Has anyone found a solution to the problem? As far as I can tell the intake air preheat system is functional, but it just doesn't seem to provide enough heat to the incoming air.

Thanks in advance.

Garry Ottawa, Canada (in the frostbelt)

quote:

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shawnoen) Date: 1998/12/20 Subject: Mysterious Hesitation Problem...PLEASE HELP! Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author car: 1991 golf gti 8v....digifant... Now that it has gotten colder here again in Minnesota my mysterious hesitation and bucking problem has returned again with the cold temps....Every time I drive the car any distances over about 150 miles the car will start the hesitate and get progressively worse the longer I keep driving it. If it pull the car over it will idle very rough for a little while and then it will be fine. I will start driving down the highway and bamm! about 60 miles or so later it will start up again.....WHAT CAN THIS BE? The car shows no problems in the summer or at all just driving it around town...It did this last year all the way to the detroit auto show and again tonight on the way up north to duluth. Can someone help me?

It seems as though the car is not getting the right amount of air and flooding as when I am driving and it is bucking, if i give it gas to accelerate it will really bog down badly and then suddenly take off. There is no flucuation in the rpm's though...could it be a mass air flow sensor problem....

Reply to
ngt

Then reroute where the air cleaner gets its incoming air from. Make it so it always comes from the rear exhaust heater and possibly block off the front incoming air. Try that and see what happens. Or route the air so it comes from the engine compartment.

let us know what you do and what solves that issue!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1