Does mass air flow sensor afftect emission signicantly? Golf GLS 2000

Malfunction indicate lamp was on (check engine light). Had it repaired by VW dealer three weeks ago. The dealer changed Mass Air flow (MAF) sensor. The city I am living (in Canada) requires to do emission inspection every two years for enviromental consideration. Two weeks after replacing MAF sensor (Jun 2004), I went to do emission inspection. The car passed it at a small margin. Here is the results:

Result in 2004--- Result in 2002 ---Average passing reading Hydrocarbons ------ 0.0911------ 0.0485-------0.0403 Carbon Monoxide ------4.0985------- 0.0132------ 6.2100 Oxides of Nitrogen ------0.0630------- 0.0094------ 0.9300 Unit: g/km

The emission is very high. I am not sure if it can pass next time. But it seems very strange since the number is so high compared with average passing reading and that two years ago.

Anyone can tell me if the MAF adjustement affect the emission? is it possible to ask the deal to repair it again? Or any suggestion for that?

Reply to
James

It might be that your Catalytic Converter is failing.....it can cause high readings if it is on it's last legs.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I bet the cat is on the way out and your MIL will come on when it doesn't meet emission standards Know anyone with a scanner to check for codes?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

This goes back to a question I asked earlier. Can MAF failure cause emissions that damage the CAT?

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust