Bad Mass Air Flow Sensor?

wondering if anyone knows what the drivability symtoms are for one of these ? I pulled the codes ..and that is what it told me it was along with a bad temp sensor it also has a EGR code but my Van does not come equipped with one . its a 95 Ford Aerostar with a 3,0 engine. other then the codes I can tell you it doesn't like to idle when it's cold and does have a slight miss.. as well as its just Dumping fuel out the tail pipe you can visably see and smell the smoke . any help will be appreciated . Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Wolfie 31

that temp sensor can cause overfueling.

ds549

There are several things that can cause this. A bad ECT sensor is one but, why don't you start with cleaning the MAF sensor? There are many sites on the net with instructions on how to do this. A perceived misfire can be a result of other conditions like overfueling. You may want to check the plugs to see if they are sooty looking to confirm the overfuel observation. A bad FPR can easily cause this. Check the vacuum hose at the FPR. If you find gasoline, the FPR is definitely bad. Have you checked the fuel pressure? Do you have a good repair manual? If you do not already have one, a decent manual will save you many headaches just on this one problem. A good manual will also outline the diagnostic procedure for problem like this. If you do not have a good bookstore near you, Amazon.com is great for this. Just remember that education is a lifelong process. It will only stop when you want it to stop. These systems are not rocket science but, they do require the job be done "by the numbers" to figure it out. A decent digital VOM will be immensly valuable in tracking this down. It can be used to get the readings from various sensors and comparing to the values in a decent manual. The ECT reading will be especially important since this is a cold problem.

Regards

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

While you've got your digital VOM out, measure the spark plugs wires to make sure you don't have a high reading or open wire. I found two open(on wires less than a year old) on my '93 Crown Vic recently. JR

Reply to
JRnNC

Thanks for all the advice.. I did get another Mass air Flow sensor and it did fix one problem and did rid the computer of that particular code. I am going to track down the rest of this using the advice given to me.. I have a lot of equipment It just gets to be a headache tracking it down and as Lugnut says its a continuing education .

Reply to
Wolfie 31

Agree. The temp sensor tells your computer how hot or cold it is outside for the car to run. The ones that have failed on my Fords were telling the computer it was 17 degrees out, and one was telling it was -17 out. Ran poor until the car warmed up.

Reply to
Stephen H