Exhaust options for '84 GTI?

Anyone know what exhaust options are available for a 1984 GTI. The original exhaust lasted until 150,000 miles. Then I installed a Leistritz system and that lasted until about 260,000. After that I installed a Techtonics (2" pipes) and it deteriorated rapidly.

The car now has 320,000 and the Techtonics sounds like there is no muffler there at all. Whatever was inside the muffler for sound deadening is long gone.

I would like the group's advice on what options are available for replacing the exhaust on this car. I was not too pleased with the Techtonics. It changes the stock pipes and now I don't have an intermediate pipe (due to the resonator). It also never sounded good, it introduced a metallic noise into the exhaust sound.

My ideal would be to find an old unsold Leistritz or Gillet system, although that is unlikely.

Thanks for any advice.

--Vic '84 GTI 320,000 miles

Reply to
Victor Silva