Fans

2009 Jetta TDI. Both cooling fans sometime come on when engine is either cold or hot--sometimes at very high speed (fans). Shutting eng. off and on stops them.

wrenden

Reply to
wrenden

"wrenden" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Have you A/C running?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

or defrost?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Oops, I forgot to mention that it occurs with the AC and heater fan off. The MIL light came on shortly after I bought the car and it took three visits to the dealer before they fixed that. Something to do with the oxy. sensors. After they fixed that the problem with the cooling fans started. Wonder if they screwed up the computer somehow. If the MIL light comes on once more I'm going to invoke the lemon law and get my money back. Thanks for the replies.

wrenden

Reply to
wrenden

I would not be happy either to buy a NEW car and have too many strange things happen to it!!! I remember when the diesel engines did not even have Oxygen Sensors!

I think that VW had a problem like that in the past with the early 90 Passats. Radiator fans would come on, stay on and possibly cause a fire.

BTW the fan control module is probably faulty, but it must be some defective manufacturing that is killing the reliability of components in VW cars. :-( I have changed a few of those in the '94-'98 era Jettas/Golfs.

Let us know what happens!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

OK, maybe I'm an idiot, but what purpose would an O2 sensor serve on a Diesel? There's O2 flowing out the exhaust all the darn time in normal operation... unless they're throttling it? but isn't the lack of throttle one of the reasons Diesels are so efficient? I'm so confused!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

These new diesels have more oxygen and temp and pressure sensors than you can fit in a bucket. "Clean Emissions"...

Reply to
LG

OK, let me rephrase. What useful information can you get from an oxygen sensor on a Diesel? Under anything other than full "throttle" there's lots of unburned O2 in the exhaust of a Diesel, that's the nature of the beast. So what purpose would it serve?

nate

LG wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If there really is an O2 sensor, I'd bet they use it backwards to prevent over fueling. (which may make sense, since an O2 sensor is really a hydro-carbon sensor,not an o2 sensor...)

Reply to
PeterD

PeterD you spam on multiple Newsgroups, and I am afraid we need to report your behavior to the White House. We, Citizens with Too Much Free Time on Hand, are watchign your every post, even if it's relevant and single-time, we suspect you might be a Spammer. We don't need a proof, just the fact of you posting makes us jealous of your spam, you BASTARD.

You will leave me alone or you eant problems?

Reply to
Stars

Cool, I've a fan... Good to see you here, Stars. Keep up the good work, and let me know what Oblama says about things!

Reply to
PeterD

WTF? I thought we were just hanging out and discussing O2 sensors. Apparently I missed something.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Stan (stars) got slamed for spamming his eBay listings, and has decided to start stalking me to get 'even' with the world. Sadly, Stan is not a good Internet stalker, and is unlikely to have much success in doing it.

Reply to
PeterD

If the fan is coming on at a cold start, and assuming you DEFINITELY do not have the a/c on, nor the car in defrost position, the fan should NOT be operating. I have 35K on my 09 TDI, and while the fan DOES operate when the car emission system is in regeneration mode (there are 3 different modes from what I've read) that's the ONLY time I've noticed the fan being on, other than when the a/c is in operation. However the car cannot be in regen mode when you first start it... the exhaust system has to be superheated first.

I would definitely discuss with me dealer.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I finally found the answer at the TDI Club Forum:

Great place. Thanks, wrenden

Reply to
wrenden