1993 Camry radiator fans inop

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry that overheats at idle due to the radiator fans not coming on. A friend checked and says the fans are not geting power to them. Could it be one of the relays on the side wall ? Is there something else that is a more common problem. I put in new water pump, thermastat, and timing belt. Water pump was needed ( old one bearing going out. But the fans are not engaging with or without AC on. And my friend said I do not seem to be getting power to the fans.

Reply to
Rictingtong

BigJim

There should be a fuse or resetable breaker, but if it overheats just idiling around that does not seem right, how hot is it out, is your radiator clogged , is air in the system, you are sure its full.

Reply to
m Ransley

============================ Try unplugging the wires to the temperature sensor in the lower radiator tank. The default should be to run the fans continuously. If they turn on, you've found the problem.

Reply to
Daniel

I unplugged wires to temp sensor and the fans still did not engage.

Could it be one of the relays on the side wall is bad ?

"Rictingtong" wrote: >

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry that overheats at idle due to the > radiator fans not coming on.The coolant comes out of the > overflow tank. A friend checked and says the fans are not > geting power to them. Is there something else that is a more > common problem. I put in new water pump, thermastat, and > timing belt. Water pump was needed ( old one bearing going > out. But the fans are not engaging with or without AC on. > And my friend said I do not seem to be getting power to the > fans. > > Could it be one of the relays on the side wall ? > Can the problem also be that i used a napa thermastat, Do I > need to get another one from Toyota ?

Reply to
Rictingtong

You should first verify that the fan motors work by applying power directly. I wouldn't be surprised if the brushes in the motor are already worn out after all these years. Just becareful the pos jumper wire doesn't short to ground or a lot of current is going to flow through the wire.

BTW, does the AC fan come on when you operate the AC?

has an online free repair guide for your reference. It explains relay operation but doesn't give detailed connector assignments so you'll have to refer to a Haynes repair manual at your local auto parts store.

Rict> I unplugged wires to temp sensor and the fans still did not engage. >

Reply to
johngdole

With my '96, if you turn on the AC, and the engine temp is normal, both fans come on at reduced speed, then as the radiator temp increases due the hot condensor, they both go to full speed for a minute then drop back to low speed.. If the AC is off, and the engine temp is normal, both fans stop until the radiator heats up a bit then the radiator fan only comes on at full speed. Is this how yours works, Daniel?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James