Five cylinder NB

I am likely the last one to learn this, but it appears the Jetta and NB will have a standard 150 HP 5 cylinder engine next year and drop out the turbo four.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't see how the NB can fit the 5 cylinder. But then again anything's possible with VW's wisdom.

Reply to
Woodchuck

They made 3.2L V6 Beetles so I don't see why the V5 wouldn't fit.

Reply to
Homer

V-5 Is there any such thing as an odd number V???

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Honda's RC211V (I think thats right) is a V-5 motorcycle. I believe it was made to contend in MotoGP, the land of 200+hp, 200+mph, 2 stroke,

500cc superbikes.

I could be blowing smoke too.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Mostly right, asfaik the current rules allow 500cc 2 strike or 990cc 4 stroke, currently every manufacturer is running 990cc 4 stroke bikes.

Reply to
Homer

Not here in the USA anyways. Got any pictures?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thats too bad, I love 2 strokes. Got my eye out for a Honda NS400R, know of any in the northeast?

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Sort of. VW had the VR5 in a few euro-spec A4 cars (Golf, Bora). It was a

2.3L unit (basically the 2.8 VR6 less one cylinder).
Reply to
Matt B.

The 5 in the Jetta and NB is not a 'V'. it's an inline 5.

Reply to
Matt B.

the only 3.2L VR6 NBs i've heard of were the Beetle RSi which was some sort of concept but was never sold that I know of. VW had them running around at driversfest 2000 in Anaheim back in the summer of '00.

Reply to
Matt B.

"Matt B." wrote

Not to say it is the same size, but VW has had an inline 5 as way back as

1985 (?) in the Quantum and Quantum Syncro, sedan and wagon.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

"Johann Koenig" wrote

Me too. I bought a DKW out of a person's yard as a kid and got it running and was fun to drive around. A 3 cylinder 2-stroke auto, 4-speed column shift, kind of like the early Saab with the Saab Shrike 2-stroke engine, that was actually on the first Saab Sonnets, I believe, before the V4, and by the way, was sold by Saab at times with a lifetime guarantee - trouble with it and the dealer just swapped the small-size 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine - one of the couple early front wheel drive cars - as a teenager my friend's father owned a Saab with a Shrike engine and I loved it for it's uniqueness (front wheel drive and 2 stroke engine tone, cool interior) and Saab had an oil injector on the later versions like 2-stroke motorcycles. The DKW (German) had, the present Audi Auto Union symbol on it, (4 rings?) you mixed oil and gas and it had 3 sets of points. Only wish I knew then what I know now. Probably would paint and restore it as a curiosity item. (DKW) I was 17.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

they only sold 250 of them.

Reply to
Homer

It first appeared around 1983 in the Quantum GL5 sedan. It basically was an Audi unit because the Quantum (B2 Passat) was build on the Audi 80/4000 platform. It was a 2.2L unit if memory serves me correctly.

VW also fitted the Eurovan witha 2.5L 5-cylinder engine that was Audi-derived but wasn't found (the exact same engine anyway) in any Audi product.

And the current 2.5L in the Jetta is also a 2.5 unit. Definitely a different head than the Eurovan engine. Not sure about the block though.

Reply to
Matt B.

It's not the V5, it's a new inline 5, probably a little longer than the VR6.

-- Mike S

Reply to
Mike Smith

There is for VW. It's the VR6 with one less cylinder.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

From what I've read, VW claims the current 2.5L I5 is an all-new design. In fact, they say it's (loosely) based on half a Lamborghini V10, but I don't buy that. Maybe the bore and stroke, but that's about it.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Well again the head is one thing and the block is another. VW claims the head is more or less half the Lambo's V10 but not the entire engine, hence my comment above regarding the head vs. block..

From

"...we borrowed the cylinder head design from the Lamborghini Gallaro V10"

Reply to
Matt B.

But one would think that head design would have more to do with an engine's power and efficiency than the block does, no? So why does the

2.5L I5 make only 150 hp?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith