Fixing 95 Golf door latch

The passenger door lock on a 95 Golf is not working. The swinger that should hold the striker in the door jamb just swings loosely. The inside and outside door handles work freely.

I expect to get a T-35 wrench tomorrow and continue in. Does anybody have an opinion that the problem could just be something stuck, or do you think I should go ahead and get a new latch box, since I am pretty sure to find something broken.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

If the latch mechanism is moving loosely without locking than the latch is pooched. Just get another one & throw it in. No big deal.

Reply to
Craig

the spring inside they break you can take the latch apart to a degree and try to rebend and reattach that spring it is doable but a little tricky and you might not trust it after you repair it A new latch would be best, a used one can be good too. The latches are supposed to be different depending on if you have power door locks and maybe power windows.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1