Golf IV 115 TDI Suspension

Just got a 115 TDI mk IV Golf.Complete with new MOT and all other things. I have a problem the car seems to bottom out/scrape the front spoiler over mildly un even road surfaces at low speed.(example.....drove to friends house on a road I travel daily and it bottomed out. No other of my cars have done this even the MK II 16v that was lowered.)The cars totally standard and got a full VW service.

Are the shockers shot?? Springs gone soft Or something worse...........

Please help FLY

Reply to
Fly100

The MkIV is low to the ground. Are you sure it wasn't the engine untertray? Perhaps it's a bit loose.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Might be...

but should it bottom out so easily?????

Reply to
Fly100

My mudflaps and lower engine cover (it's broken... the monkey mechanics rip it off instead of loosening the screws out all the way) rub against speedbumps, but that's about it... I've never heard scraping going over bumps/bad roads with it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Yeah my front splitter on the mk2 catches everywhere, both when it was standard, and since I've lowered it and swapped the spoiler for the shallower CL item.

Still shocks the staffers at work as you drive in behind them and scrape your way in.

Reply to
Jon B

YES! As VW spews out the newer VWs A4 A5 etc, they become heavier each body style change (historically speaking) but still use the SAME suspension hardware. Therefore the suspension will not last as long.

Ex:

My 1986 Golf Diesel still has the original suspension and the car still seem to ride well without suspension issues. Of course if I would install new struts and mounts it would ride stiffer but due to it's light weight

Reply to
Peter Parker