Help / Advice buying used A4 GTI

My 2 A2 GLI's are both down for the count and the wife has insisted that I find something reliable (and preferably cheap) to drive soon, so that she doesn't have to give up her car and find a ride to/from work at inconvenient times.

A search of local ads, etc, dug up a '00 1.8T (150 hp) / 5 sp GTI with 67k for just under $12k at the local Carmax. Their ad claims Kelly blue book of

13,500.

We own a '00 Jetta TDI GLS, so I'm familiar with the window regulator issue, but I'm completely in the dark about any 1.8T issues that may factor into the decision, so:

1) Will the '00 10/100k warranty on the powertrain apply to a 2nd (or 3rd) owner? 2) Are there any known problems with the 1.8T going upwards of 150k mi without major maintenance $$$ spent? 3) What are the differences between the 150 and 180 hp versions? 4) Does this sound like a reasonable price given that the car has all of the power options, cloth interior, cass/CD stereo, etc.?

Helpful comments and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andreas

'90 GLI (160k), needs a lot '88 GLI (110k), just lost 5th gear and tranny about to do grenade impression. '00 Jetta TDI GLS - the wife's

Reply to
AD
1-KBB prices are inflated about 2K, at least in our area and that's why many dealers use their pricing. 2-No factory warranty as it's only 5yr/50,000 for second owner. 3-Purchase an extended warranty 4-Problems-look for crud under the valve cover as many owners were lazy about oil changes. 5-oil pump plugs up(see above) not a VW problem but lazy owner. 6- Difference from 150 to 180hp is 30hp. Really don't know what VW did!

inconvenient

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Mike

MY daughter and I both have Toyota warranties. So far they have no problems paying claims in the 1.5 years she had it!

Reply to
Woodchuck