Help! Missing Transaxle Parts?!

It might be senility, or beer, or a lethal cocktail of the two, but I think I have discovered a peculiar lack of parts while reassembling my 020 transaxle after a clutch job and seal replacement. The car is a 1987 GTI 8V.

While perusing the Bentley Manual last night in preparation for reassembly, I noticed that there is supposed to be a "spring" and "thrust washer" behind each drive flange (not to be confused with the spring washer and circlip that holds the flange on). Funny thing is, these parts were not installed on my transaxle, and I have no recollection of them ever having been installed. I just double-checked all of the disassembled parts and they are definitely not there (I'm fairly organized when I tear my car apart). The plot thickens when you consider that I'm the original owner of the car and I'm the only person that has EVER worked on this car. The transaxle is the original, with about 220,000 miles.

The first time I removed the drive flanges was about 10 years ago (during the first clutch job at about 130,000 miles), and I have no memory of ever seeing the springs or thrust washers. I have always been plagued with leaks around the drive flanges, but nothing major. When I replaced the flange seals 10 years ago, it didn't cure the leaks. I can see a few scenarios here:

  1. The springs and thrust washers were never installed on the car from the factory, and the only major problem has been minor leaks around the flanges.

  1. I misplaced the parts 10 years ago and never reinstalled them. Again, the only major problem has been minor leaks around the flanges.

  2. I misplaced the parts during the current job, even though I have no recollection of having seen them (not likely).

  1. I'm misinterpreting the information in the Bentley Manual (also not likely).

Now tell me, is it likely that I've been driving around sans these parts for

130,000 or even 220,000 miles without any major problems other than minor gear oil leaks? Has anyone ever heard of these parts being omitted at the factory? Please help me figure out what's going on here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Kent