Axle Flange Question

Sorry for asking again, but I really would like to get the group's input on this. When I removed my axle flanges, the large springs and thrust washers that are supposed to be behind the flanges (according to Bentley) were not there. I've been driving around like this for at least 100,000 miles. Were these parts not included on some models or did I just misplace them?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Kent

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Remember back to when you put the flanges back on. If they slid on and you put in the clip then they were gone then. The springs make it very difficult to put the flanges on. VW has a special tool for the job. They fit over the inner part of the flanges and the thrust washers go on first. These are big heavy springs made from flat stock.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I actually fabricated a tool similar to the VW special tool the first time I removed the flanges. And I remember the force it took to compress the springs. I don't have a clear recollection of the last time I removed the flanges, but I always use the tool for reinstallation. That's what makes this so frustrating...the springs are now gone, and they never ended up in my surplus parts bin. I'm off to find replacements today...

Reply to
Kent