'95 Eagle Vision wiper linkage

My '95 Eagle Vision (aka Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler LHS, etc). wiper linkage has a worn nylon socket on the arm from the motor to the drivers wiper arm post. Does anyone know of a source for these sockets, or the linkage arm? It looks like the socket snaps into the linkage arm.

Reply to
bruce

You can purchase the linkage thru your local dealer, I don't think they sell just the bushing. You may want to try an after market supply house for those.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

why purchase a worn out pivot from a junk yard and have to tear the miper module apart for a 20 dollar part to have to do it again later???

Reply to
damnnickname

That's a good question, and here's the answer. It's really a 50-cent part that you can only get as part of the linkage assembly at Chrysler. If the assembly costs $100 at Chrysler (wouldn't be a surprise), or if it becomes discontinued (absolutely guaranteed that will happen) then you'd head to the junkyard.

If it really was $20 at Chrysler, that would be the way to go, but there's no way they'd sell anything for $20 at that window.

Reply to
Joe

I have a similar vehicle but haven't had any wiper issues, HOWEVER, if they are using the same wiper linkage system that I've had on my other Chrysler vehicles (Dodge Dakota, Van), those nylon sockets are available at any auto parts store. While you're at it, replace all of the bushings in the system. It can be a real PIA but it's better to do it only once. Use a little white lube in the sockets. Pretty sure you can get the sockets at the dealer as well. Would probably be the best source.

Reply to
oldcarnut

Reply to
philthy

They're not. They're nylon sockets, but they're different from the old ones.

those nylon sockets are

Ironic that I can buy new bushings for my 30-year old mopars for a buck or two, but things like wiper bushings and throttle cables for the 93-97 LH cars (like my wife drives) are no longer available or only available as part of a $200 assembly.

Reply to
Steve

Apparently these wiper linkages are a common replacement I've found out. and oldcarnut properly points out that there are no parts available other than the $200 assembly (that jives with what I was told by the dealer). The frustrating thing is that the nylon socket would clearly pop out of the wiper linkage if I could find a replacment. This is the whole penny wise and pound foolish thing that I loathe so much about american car dealers. Chrysler in particular. It's also part of the reason that I will NOT purchase another new Chrsler product. I know that there's a point of diminishing returns when dealing with individual parts vs. whole assemblies, but this was clearly made so that it could be removed and replaced. ARGH. Same deal with the miserable pot metal casting post for the seat back adjustment lever in my wife's '00 Voyager! "We can't sell you that part alone; you have to buy a $250 assembly to repair a $3 part." And don't even get me started about their inability to build any reliable transmission! I thought I was doing the right thing buying the Voyager with the three speed because of past experience with their 4 speeds, yet I spent $1200 to rebuild it at 90K miles.

A pox on Chrysler.

Reply to
bruce

You GOTTA be kidding?!?! I mean, YES its craptacular that they don't offer that 10-cent part at the parts counter (and that a throttle cable for a vehicle only 10 years old is not available anywhere). But hell, if it were a Honduh or Toyoater the dealer would sell you an entire new assembly from the firewall forward every time a belt wore out! ITs not Chrysler, its ALL of them and the Japanese carmakers are the worst of the lot.

What I don't get is why the aftermarket hasn't picked up more of those small parts like they did for older models.

Reply to
Steve

Not enough profit to bother with.

Reply to
Just Facts

Bruce, contact another dealer, they make the small arm with the grommet on it, there are two on the vehicle. I think one is $23 and the other about $40. Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I agree with you, but you better be careful where you run to. If you start buying starters, or alternators, and brake rotors from a foreign brand dealer you'll see what I mean. I guess it would be worthwhile to get on something like rockauto.com and price a bunch of parts before you buy.

Reply to
Joe

People have changed. The parts stores would be happy to supply whatever people will buy. The number of people who would actually fix these wipers is the problem.

Reply to
Joe

True, but I'm one who does the minor repairs such as this and parts after the Canadian legal 9 years of parts support can become a problem.

My LH has special wiper arms on which the washer jets are attached and the left one has a wind deflector. I've been using Chrysler supplied wiper blade inserts and two years ago bought the last four I could find. The parts suppliers around here only sell complete arms as does Chrysler, so I'll have to make a major change to my wiper setup when I run out of blade refills. I have noticed in the last few months my left blade is not always rocking properly so I expect arm replacement is due anyway.

Reply to
Some O

Inserts are available at Pep Boys. If you can get them there, you can get them at ANY reputable parts store. True, if you shop for car parts at Walmart or Target you're SOL, but just go to a REAL parts store.

Reply to
Steve