How can I tell my Fuel System?

Hello group

I have a 1991 Jetta 1.8 Gas w/auto trans. You may remember my last post about a coolant sensor. Right now, it is minus

6 degrees C. I went out to start the car, it turns fine, catches on the second try, but immediately stalls. To keep the car running, I have to idle at about 1500 for about 30 seconds or so.I am going to pick up a coolant temp sensor tomorrow, and I hope this solves my problem.

I have been reading the Haynes book... First, I do not know which fuel delivery system I have CIS CIS-E or Digifant II. Is there a way to tell? I thought it was Digifant, but I am second guessing myself now, as some of the pictures in to book that show a CIS-E system are identical to my car, such as the Idle stabilizer, and the throttle adjusting screw on the throttle body.

On that note, do have any of you more experienced VW'ers had that problem in the cold? The snow just fell and I would like to get the problem fixed right away.

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Doiron Family

- CIS has simple fuel distributor

- CIS-E fuel distributor has on left and right side the differential pressure regulator(R) and the air flow sensor plate potentiometer(L)

- Digifant II has all injectors mounted on a rail while CIS and CIS II injectors are individually separated

- Digifant has a smaller air filter housing

- > Hello group

Reply to
Tom Resi

Digifant II except california which was digifant I, that's all they came with unless it has been changed.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Those items are found on Digifant as well.

You should have Digifant unless the car's been seriously modified.

Reply to
Matt B.

IMHO the easiest way to recognize CIS is that the fuel distributor has four individual lines going from it to the injectors. Digifant, as you mentioned, has a single hose going to the fuel injector rail, most of which isn't as immediately visible as the fuel lines for CIS.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Tom Resi