How long should the battery last???

Hi

I have a 2K Jetta GLX (purchased new in Oct. of 99). Lately if I park it in the garage and don't drive it for about a week the battery dies. And may require a second jump after an initial drive. Car is located in Southern CA and has about 50K.

Is it about time for a new battery?

Is there any way to check what the problem is i.e. alternator etc. without going to the dealer/garage.

Suggestions on what is the best brand of battery I should replace it with?

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Hirsch

It sounds like it is time for a new battery. It is not unusual for a battery to go in four to five years and what you describe could be nothing more than a battery getting tired.

It also could be some new dark drain, like a trunk light that is not going off.

I believe your car is one that has a small drain normally so even that slow drain may kill a battery in a weeks time as the battery ages. In addition, after draining a battery a few time, it gets damaged from that. Car batteries are not designed to be totally drained.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You done good! Batteries last on average of about 4 years at least where I'm at. Just this week I replaced a battery on a new VW which was only 3 months old due to a faulty cell. To check your alt just start the car and measure the voltage at the battery, it should fall in the range of 13.3v to 13.9v

+/- some.
Reply to
Woodchuck

aren't the original factory batteries maintainence batteries? IOWs gotta add distilled water as needed?

dave

My 2003 Jetta battery has caps on every cell that unscrew so you can check water level. The caps are covered with decals so the battery looks maintenance free but it is not. I wonder if folks have killed batteries when the water (electrolyte) level drops causing dry cells. Batteries should last about 5 years and the battery in my car is a name brand. I think it is Varta which is a large battery maker that makes some great nicad 9 volt batteries that actual work at close to 9 volts, not the lame 7.2 of some other nicad 9 volt batteries.

At least check the electrolyte level and t>Hi

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

My 2001 TDI OEM Varta battery was junk after 2 years - wouldn't turn the engine at 10F.

Bought an Optima and haven't looked back.

Johnson Controls just bought Varta; maybe Varta was sucking wind when they produced your battery.

Reply to
AH

You are right, Varta is a piece of junk. I have 2 VW Beetles in my family (2001 + 2002), one battery died at 25,000 and the other at 31,00 which I understand is an exceptional life for these batteries. Both of these died with no warning. Also don't let people tell you that the dealer is the only place to get a replacement.(at least I was told this for the Beetle) The dealer wants somewhere in the nieghborhood of $175.00 and ist still a Varta POS, with a 24 month warrentee. I went to Auto Zone and got a 72 month battery for about $65.00, this is what I used for both cars and to date have worked great.

Thanks, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

How do you get the battery out of a New Beetle? It's in a box with about a third of it under the left fender...

Reply to
Driver, Bug

There are 2 (I believe) Bolts that hold it it. One is a long one that runs through the P Steering tank, and I believe the oter is on the front or side of the battery. When the cables and the two bolts are out, you have to tip the battery at about a 45 degree angle towards the passenger side and it will lift staright out. Note, this is made a great deal easier with a standard strap type of battery carrier that hook to the terminals because you have very little room for your hands on the side of the battery. A 20 minute job at best. Good Luck.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382