good/better wax

I got a great deal on a new red 2003 GLI about a month ago. Now I'm thinking of picking up an electric buff tool at Walmart and some paste wax to keep the water beading up. I got out of the habit of waxing the old '89 Jetta that I traded in. Any recommendations on type of wax to use would be appreciated.

The six cylinder six speed is much higher performance than my old four cylinder five speed! I hope my new glasses keep me out of ticket trouble.

Samuel

Reply to
sheinrich

Yea, don't bother. Get a good easy to use "rub on rub off" stuff. Any of the name brands make some.

In years past, paste wax was the only way to get anything worth the trouble. Today, while paste waxes are still good, and some are among the best, the easy to use stuff is better than many of the paste waxes and the better ones are really quite good, they are easy to use, last a long time and look good. Maybe if it is easy enough, you will not get out of the habit this time. ;-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use 3M Protective Marine wax on all my cars/truck & speed boat. It's been on my GLX Passat since 8/2003 and still beads like the day I put it on!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I swear by Meguires Gold Class wax, it's kept our 93 Volvo in showroom shape for 11 years, and it kept our old 91 Golf in very good shape for the 12 years it had faced sun, rain, salt snow etc... the paint was still decent on it, and barely any rust... Better then most cars its age.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I agree... meguiars is the way to go!!! I have a shelf full of the stuff too ;-)

Reply to
VWGirl

There are plenty of good waxes out there, but my auto body guy advises to stay away from anything with a silicone base. Silicones cause fish eyes in repainted finishes and are to be avoided.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R.

I have not had any luck with Meguiars, only seems to last a month or so on my cars, what am I doing wrong?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

For long lasting...I have used Collinite Fleetwax

They make specific auto products, but was using the Fleetwax on a couple of boats, and also used on my van.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Thanks for the replies. I'm now planning on staying away from silicone types. I remember getting fish eyes on my last car. Hand buffing might be the way to go. :)

I'm also going to put a Yakima roof rack on this car. After years of use mainly hauling canoes, my '89 Jetta showed a few small paint peels where the rack mounts contacted the roof. The color peeled leaving some undercoat color. Maybe the newer rubber rack mount pads will solve this problem or maybe Mequires Gold or 3m Marine wax will stop the stick factor. Btw, that '89 was never in a garage, and it had no rust through. That impressed me.

Thanks, Samuel

Reply to
sheinrich

Maybe it's your climate... I have my car (1999 Golf) standing out in the Southern Ontario snow/rain/sun/air/birdshit/fumes/tree-sap... anything, it gets a garage at most 3 weeks a year (when the Volvo is on a road trip for a vacation or something) and the wax lasts a long time. Yah, the beads of water get a little bigger, but it still beads after 4+ months....

I use a good amount of it, and really work it in for a while, and press pretty hard.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jim B.

Reply to