How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit?

I had that happen one day on my 1970 VW bug. It was about 15 years old at the time with about 160,000 miles. It sure was exciting going through that red light when it popped. That parking brake did slow it down enough to miss the cross traffic however.

Be happy that you are in condition to worry about how you are going to fix it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a 1976 Rabbit.

I have been having a problem with my brake pedal slowing going to the floor when I held it down. I did not see brake fluid leaking anywhere, so I replaced my master cylinder and installed new pads and front brake hoses.

But, we went through two big bottles of brake fluid trying to bleed the brakes and couldn't bleed them. Still couldn't find any leaks.

Just as we were about to give up, my wife saw brake fluid dripping from under the passenger floorboard. Pulled up the carpet, and yep, major mess. The steel brake line there had rusted through and a small pinhole had leaked massive amounts of fluid. Now I know where all that brake fluid was going... :)

Anyway, I obviously need to replace the brake line, but it looks like it's going to be a huge job trying to fish a hard metal brake line through the car. Does anyone have any tips to make this job easier?

Also, I've got a major mess to clean up under the carpet now. Any tips on cleaning up the brake fluid? I thought about spreading kitty litter all over and letting it soak everything up.

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I had that happen on a 66 Beetle. That car had a single master cylinder so when the line broke you lost all brakes. At least on the

67 it had a dual circuit so you had some brakes left. >HerHusband wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

It should, but in my case the dual system failed. That was the second time it failed. The first was in the rain fog and snow in the mountains of PA. It turned on the light but since I had no other failure, I was OK.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph,

Yep, about the same situation here. I was pulling a trailer load of garbage to the dump and had to stomp on the brake when the traffic light suddenly changed. It started to slow down briefly, then the pedal dropped to the floor! Very scary... So, I stepped on the gas to get through the intersection before the cross traffic started moving.

It could have been a lot worse...

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Long, long, long ago VW had a recall on them lines but more than likely it was already done. Don't think there is a way to check anymore. Wanna a tip... only use the VW line which is coated against corrosion. Now everyone knows how old I am(lol)!

Reply to
Woodchuck