Ipod in the car

I have a 2001 GTI and am going to get an Ipod in the near future. I am mainly getting it for use in the car so I am interested in various ways to use the ipod through the stereo. I have the monsoon deck with in dash single cd player.

What products has anyone used for their ipod in VW's and what do you recommend? I only read bad things about the FM transmitters. I prefer a clean install to having a cassette adaptor but this may not be feasible.

I read in this NG (I think it was in here) recently about a device that uses the cd changer connection. Does anyone recommend this option?

Thanks.

Reply to
YYZedd

What products has anyone used for their ipod in VW's and what do you

Hi. I've got a '02 Golf, with the std. stereo. Using an Ipod with a cassette adapter. Works well. The car's set up for a remote cd deck that I don't have, so I want to get at the back of the deck to see if the cd input is a plugin that I can use to put the Ipod thru. When you read the tests, preferred way is direct input thru an aux port. Second best is using a cassette adapter {realizing alot of cars don't have that option}. Distant third is the FM device. *BUT* I know a bunch of people using fm that are happy with it. Best seems to be the ITrip. The Belkin isn't nearly as good. I have one I tried first, and it's really not good in the Golf. Worked better in my Bus. Maybe it's the rear mt antenna....Bill D.

Reply to
Wm Donley

My friend has the IPOD in his 98 GTI and he bought a Alpine Deck, he controls the Ipod via the Alpine deck and all the Titles show up in the Alpine. Also it charges at Ipod while it's plug into the deck. Very cool.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

You did read it on this newsgroup, a post yesterday (25th) had this product mentioned in it... The poster was having trouble with his in dash CD player on his Monsoon system, he has the two separate units for headunit and CD player, as well as this connector in place of his CD changer.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It uses bluetooth technology It is neat though !!

Reply to
M Power

Can you explain how an iPod, which doesn't have Bluetooth, manages to work using 'bluetooth technology' with something else that doesn't have Bluetooth?

What the OP is looking for is the Dension iLink.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah, this was a few weeks back that I read it. It was the Monster iCruze.

Reply to
YYZedd

There is a bluetooth adaptor out there.

Yes, this looks like the way to go....eventually. To get the kit and the mount is approaching $250. Almost as much as the ipod itself. I may go with a cheaper solution for starters.

Reply to
YYZedd

Is there a link for that? - I'm not aware of any iPod Bluetooth Audio adaptors out there, and head units supporting Bluetooth Audio are not readily available on the market. Most head units with Bluetooth support are for cellular phones.

Reply to
SteveH

I could swear I saw one yesterday. Of course now that I have said it I can't find it again. I'll keep looking.

Reply to
YYZedd

I have an Alpine deck. The way to go is to run a stereo line out of the aux input. I have the wire tucked under the center console so you don't really even see it. It plugs into my mp3 player and the sound is pure. I don't like cassettes because they're awkward and don't like the mechanical noise.

Reply to
The Devil's Advocate©

Screw the iPod, get a Phatnoise! You can find them on e-bay for about the same price as an iPod.

John, a former iPod user

Reply to
JB

can't take the phatnoise with you.

the question isn't, which system to get, it's how to use ipod with the car.

thanks for playing though.

Reply to
YYZedd