key fob problem

Hi, We have 2001 Jetta GLS, 2.0l with almost 90k miles on it. One of the two key fobs no longer works properly. You have to stand in front of the drivers door and move it near the window and then it works. The other key fob still works properly. This started to happen so I replaced batteries in both fobs. The whacky one still requires us to be close to the drivers side door and it must be held near the glass. The other one works fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

Either I'm caught in some sort of time warp, or you asked this same question yesterday. Sounds like you need a new battery or at worst a new fob. If the price of the battery and/or new fob makes you cringe, perhaps you can just live with the limited range until it stops working permanently. Would this be so inconvenient? Doesn't the process of entering or exiting your car require you to stand in front of the driver's door anyway? I go fobless myself, and my lifestyle is not at all impaired by the inability to lock/unlock my car from across the Home Depot parking lot.

Reply to
Kent

Touch the metal part of your key to your head while operating it, it's known way of increasing the range of these devices, and I don't think it's more dangerous that walking through the average shop security barriers.

MH

Reply to
Max Henry

"Kent" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I thought about this one day recently in a parking lot, and there's one nice thing about the remote entry. My car is black and I noticed how, after nearly 5 years, there are NO scratches in the paint around the keyhole on the driver's door. How many cars have I had or seen with those little circular scratches after only a couple of years? Also, since my Passat has no keyhole in the passenger door, the remote still allows me to be a gentleman and open the lady's door without running my ass off.

Reply to
mike

Kent, It's no time warp. I originally posted the question on the 21st of Mar 05. I could not find it by searching topics (it now shows up)but if you search specifically in this newsgroup, it shows up when you search for "fob". However, when you click on it, it says it can't find the url. I think there is a computer problem. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the answer. Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387