RR 4.6 HSE key fob...beware!

A tale of woe...remote fob No 1 showed as low battery on dash display so I used No 2 fob. No2 fob failed yesterday ;leaving me with engine immobilised and EKA 30 miles away at home! having got the code I am now using the key. Not too much of an issue.

Went to my local LR dealer to sort out batteries for fobs etc and I was told that if you leave a key fob with a flat battery it becomes useless and will not work again, even if you put new batteries in it!!!!!!!!!(where does it say that in the hand book????)

So, I now have two knackered fobs.

Ok, so I have to order a new fob, but as they are made with the key, I have to produce V5 and other ID...not an issue but.....£126 each for the fobs and a 5 week, YES FIVE weeks wait!!!!!

Wow, don't you just love customer service?????

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

immobilised

That's it. The world has finally gone completely mad. £252 to get into your motor? ( Plus vat I expect?)

Brother had a similar tale of woe yesterday on his ancient Cavalier ( value £500 on a good day). Failed MOT on a slightly sticking hazard light warning switch which cost £40 plus a fiver to fit plus vat on the lot. He's really annoyed because it worked fine if you jer...jer... jiggled it a bit and he's never used it in the two years he's had the motor!!! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Utter bollox. The remote symply has to be resynchronized. The procedure is in the Workshop manual under code S3 : Security/Central locking. Just show them the procedure AFTER you get the new keys, refuse to pay and b*gg*r of. They deserve no better trying to rip you off.

Peter R,

Reply to
Peter R.

Have you tried resyncing the key? Start with the car unlocked. Put key in drivers door lock and turn to lock position at the same time as you press the lock button on your keyfob?

I've never heard of a flat battery killing a fob, as long as the LED is flashing when you press the button there is normally a chance of getting the car and key to talk, even if it needs to go on TestBook. Mark

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

In news:dma1ji$448$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com, TonyB decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

That's cheap that is... well, sort of.

To fix the remote central locking on my old Alfa 155 costs £800 because of Fiats insane security system.

One of the previous keepers managed to lose the all important "brown" key, which reprogrammes everything, they also lost a little key which happens to operate the alarm master switch. The "brown" key isn't an issue because most locksmiths can clone the key I've got, and the Alfa doesn't know it's been cloned. However, to make the little alarm plipper in the key work you need a special code, and the little key for the alarm master switch. Alfa refuse to give you the code, and won't sell the master switch separately - which means buying an alarm unit, engine ecu, lockset, alarm receiver unit and a couple of other bits.

I think I'll suffer with turning the key in the door lock.

Reply to
Pete M

Based on my experience with Alfas the key battery would outlast most of the items you list above anyway... :(

Reply to
Tim Hobbs