late model Golf Diesel - need purchase advice (Canada/US market)

Hi all,

Ok, I'm gonna do it... I like the Golf A LOT!! (either that, or a Jetta diesel wagon).

I'd love a two door Golf diesel (late model, but what was the last year that the diesel was offered in two door? all the 2004s I see are 4 doors).

I travel approx 32K kms/year, 20K miles, mostly highway. I'm not 100% if this qualifies as enough kms/year for a real payback for the diesel option, but I think gasoline's days are done for me.

So, 2002-later Golf diesel - good buy? I need air-con, don't really need power windows, but like keyless entry.

any advice?

do GTI wheels fit the diesel cars? (correct offset/bolt pattern?)

Reply to
Robert Gilroy

Last year 2door tdi golf was 2000.

A 2002 tdi is a pretty good buy, just shop around for a good price. Yes gti wheels will fit the tdi, it won't fit vice versa due brake clearance issues...

Reply to
McScratchy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If MY2000 was the last year for Golf TDI 2-door, then maybe Canada has had them longer?!? I've seen 2002 TDI Golf 2-doors for sale.

I'm trying to find something with reasonable kms.. I plan to keep whatever I buy for 8 years, and I'll rack up quite a few kms.

Cheers

Reply to
Robert Gilroy

I've never seen a 2002 2door tdi... There could be exceptions, engine swapping isn't uncommon in the vw community. Any diesel motor will last you a loooong time if you maintain it properly. Just watch out for crankwalk on the tdi's once they hit around 200,000 kms.

Reply to
McScratchy

You wanna buy diesel. It is different in that deisel can't be got at every station. Not that that is a big thing but it is worth noting especially if you do alot of travelling. It was something to get use to. I drive the older deisels(not TDI) and it has been less of a headache than a gas jobby.(I like to mechanic in them) and I can't on a diesel because it is too fussy in that way, it'll run or it won't. Fact is, many people don't like diesels cause they don't understand how they run.....there fore it acts as a theft deterrent. Check out the body shape. That is what is gonna go. I sold my first diesel after putting on an additional 500,000 miles to the 200,000 that was on it..and it was not burning the blues...in fact I found that car 1/2 year later in the salvage yard minus the motor and trans. So they do last an last. I moved up to a turbo but still before the TDI. It goes good 2. Fuel prices here in the west compare with gas and with the improvements in gas mileage..it is getting harder to justify owning a diesel for the additional bucks. But still, I think I will continue just because even though I do have to plug it in during the winter months.

Reply to
wrenchwench

I wrench all my cars, there isn't much I can't do here at home... less maybe doing a full out alignment (but I can do a mean string alignment).

I don't want an older car again, my current car is an '87 Volvo 760GLE with

188K miles on it. Sure, it will go another 100K miles for sure, but every bit of plastic in the interior is creaking over bumps.. I want something nice.

Diesel will still be cheaper to run, other than if you compare it to a Toyota Echo.

I did a cost analysis; I could save $2000 CAD a year on fuel from my current vehicle if I drove a VW TDI. Not bad!!! In 8 years, that's a $16,000 savings!! So from 12L/100kms, I go to 5.7L/100kms... that's more than half the fuel consumption, and probably decent on $$ maintenance.

I'm gonna get ready to do the switch soon!

Reply to
Robert Gilroy

GO FOR IT!!!!

Got my Jetta Wagon last year and haven't looked back since! I love this car.

Check out tdiclub DOT com for all the support you could ever want.

I purchased my car from a dealer so I could get the maint. records. Paid a premium but it it made me comfortable. Just make sure the prospective car was properly maintained with the syth. oil. Get all the records/info on the car you can.

When you get the car, maintain it yourself. It is easy and will save you $. The dealers make it sound like they know what is best for your car. WRONG. You Do!

Enjoy your new TDI

Reply to
tyerant