Mass airflow meter problems caused by fancy filters (K&N etc)?

Hi,

Recently my car (Golf 4) started to report problems with the mass airflow meter, I was wondering if this could be caused by oil been pulled from the K&N air filter onto the sensor? Any thoughts?

Thanks. S

Reply to
spaz

Yes, yes, yes! If any of the oil gets pulled into the MAF then you could have problems. I don't like the filters but if they are used and the owner doesn't use to much oil then things should be OK. My thoughts, if a filter flows more air then it flows more dirt.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Good idea to change your airfilter when you change your MAF sensor? (I know the airfilter is rated for 40k miles, but I didn't get that far before having to replace the MAF).

Unrelated (except to filters)...but how about fuel filter? There's no mention in the manual about frequency of replacement...are they supposed to be permanent?...even so, what would be recommended miles for replacement (assuming no fuel or unusual contamination problems)? Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Is has been known to be one of the (possible) side-effects of a K & N especially if overoiled. See

and search the forums.

Reply to
Ernest

Bah! I have own a K&N 9 years with my 94 Jetta 2.0L. 180750 miles and still the original MAF. The TDI MAFs are junk even if you used a NASA shuttle air filter....

Reply to
Peter Parker

Kind of hard to say because there are a lot of MAF failures in cars that don't have the K&N filter in them.

However, K&N filters do present of nice problem of offering a way for oil to be deposited on the MAF, and with the larger holes in the filter element, allows even more crude to bounce off the MAF.

The only thing worse than a drop in K&N filter are the hot air intake or water intake with some K&N type filter on them.

BTW, I still have that K&N filter for sale. One offer for me to pay $5 so some one else can toss it in the trash has been my best offer. :)

Reply to
Pencilneck

That is very true. My 91 Golf and 93 Volvo have every original Bosch sensor on them, nothing has ever caused a problem. But my 99.5 TDI, and its three other company car siblings (one more Golf and 2 Jettas, we bought this Golf off of the company I used to work for) all had MAF failures in under 4 years, highest KMs was 80K lowest was 50K Kms. All of them are running great now tho. We have a K&N in my car right now, but I got it just this week, you really have to follow directions when you use aftermarket products like these. As for one poster stating that the more air you flow, the more dirt. Not necissarily, the K&N could have the same sized (or smaller) holes then a paper filter, they just might be a lot closer together, and more of them.

Reply to
Rob Guenther