Muffler/catalytic converter on a 92 Jetta EcoDiesel

What would happen, and is it possible to install an exhaust on a 1992 Jetta EcoDiesel without using the catalytic converter? Will it damage the vehicle?

Reply to
AlanH70

No but it might cause problems if the car ever needs to pass a emissions test.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

My guess is it is totally illegal. I might add that with most of today's engines the exhaust system is a serious part of the total system and making changes in that system can mess up other areas. For example does the engine computer expect sensors on the exhaust to be giving it feed back?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm not that familiar with the ECOdiesel but apart from the cat and turbo it's a standard old-skool diesel. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an O2 sensor. I'd say it's probably OK to remove the cat from a "won't harm the engine" standpoint. However, I'm not sure what the local state laws are and it's very possible that if you modify the exhaust too far from the original intended design that you might have a problem. The cat on an ECO diesel also might help reduce noise though so if you remove it don't be surprised if it's louder.

Reply to
Matt B.

I'm going to assume now that it doesn't have any O2 sensors based on this:

Says it's mechanical injection, so there's probably not even an ECU or any electronic controls.

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt B. wrote: >

Over here in Germany it would be, otherwise it might depent where you live.

Let's see: Ecodiesel -> US, 1992 in the US -> A2, any A2 diesel -> 1.6l IDI diesel, 1.6l IDI diesel -> absolutely not anything close to an ecu on this beasts, as long as you don't count the shut-off solenoid. ,-)

right.

Exactly. Anyhow, even much newer diesels often don't have an O2 sensor, simply because the O2 amount in exhaust gas is not a good criteria for engine control with a diesel.

Not technically regarding the engine. A turbo-diesel runs best with no exhaust at all - of course you would not really want to hear this.

a litle bit,

But as the ecodiesel has

- the oxi-cat

- first muffler in the middle

- second muffler at the back it won't be a big change, certainly not louder than the stock 70HP turbo-diesel. In fact my 70HP td has a retrofitted oxi-cat _in_place_ of the first muffler - saves some taxes over here - and it got just a little louder with that.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Reply to