Need help with funky fan problem 93 Cabriolet

We've got a 93 Cabriolet that's been sitting all winter. I went to start it today and the battery was dead. I hooked up some jumper cables and right away, I noticed the fan came on even though the key wasn't even in the ingnition. I got the car started but it won't hold a charge. The fan runs the ENTIRE time and when I turn the car off..the fan runs for a moment and then dies too. I'm not rocket scientist but I'm guessing I have a fan problem. The last time it was driven the fan probably stayed on but we never heard it since we were inside. Then the car sat... yada yada yada. So..what's next oh VW guru's? I'm not even sure the batter can hold a charge. It sat all winter, hardly being started and if it was drained... the Baltimore winter may have finally killed it. That or it needs a real charge. What should I do about the fan? Any help would be appreciated.

--Brian

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

Does the car have A/C? I don't have a wiring diagram for an A1, but it could be as simple as the A/C being turned on. On A2 cars, the radiator fan will be running at low speed whenever the A/C is turned on (regardless of whether the compressor in running).

Reply to
Randolph

Yeah it's got AC but I believe I had it turned off. Regardess, the AC shouldn't be running of the the key isn't in the ignition.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

I don't know. I'll check everything but I think I had it turned off.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

I think the electric cooling fan may operate with the ignition off if the high-temp swich on the radiator is closed. Easy to check, just pull the connector. Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

I can't say for sure about a '93, but on my '75 Rabbit and on both of my Sciroccos ('84 and '87) the fan will run without the key if the radiator sensor switches it on. In a few cases I've even seen (well, heard) them come on after turning the car off and starting to walk away. I guess it was about ready to click on and it just happened to do it then.

A friends Rabbit went dead battery somewhat similar to yours, except that it was overnight. Same thing you saw. Dead cold engine, hooked up the jumpers and the fan came on. The radiator sensor had frozen closed.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Alec -

Not really sure how to check for this. Can you elaborate?

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

Thanks, Bill. Never worked with the radiator before so I'm not sure how to check for this.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

There will be a sensor that controls the electric fan and causes it to run if the coolant temp gets too high. On some model this has a "run-on" capability, in that it continues to run if the ignition is off. Where that switch is depends on which engine you have. Do you know the engine code, 2 or 3 digit alpha? The sensor may be on the radiator or mounted on the front (facing you) of the engine where the cooling hose connects into the block. With the ignition OFF and the fan running you can try disconnecting the sensor to prove that its duff.

Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

Not really sure about the engine code. I've got the Bently book. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

Make sure the Bentley is for your year and model VW or you might get more confused... I have seen this happen when people try to work on their own stuff.

BTW, is it fix yet? It shouldn't take you more than three days.

:-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I haven't screwed with it. Maybe one day this week. =)

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

Nice. I'm sure all the people that went to the trouble to respond will be happy to know this.

Reply to
Peter Parker