ordering a TDI?

I've been looking at TDI's but its been hard to find what I want (looking for a package 2 TDI 5 speed) my question is, what if i order one. from what I've been told I should be able to get a good price ordering one because all teh advertizing money as well as the holdback can be taken right off the price because of the fact they are takign it right off their truck and I'm taking delevery on it. is this true? or would I be able to get a better price if I find one on the lot (currently all I can find are base modles and package 1's, but I really want power seats) has anyone ordered one of these before? any idea how long it takes to get one? thanks for any info you can provide.

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

I think all of your questions can be answered at your local VW dealership.

Reply to
Papa

I drove the 5 speed but bought a new Jetta TDI with Package 2 and 6 speed Tiptronic DSG transmission - I have 6,800 miles on it and I am getting just under 48 mpg driving the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia.

I have owned many VWs and currently still own 4 others, but this car is the amazing ... comfort handling, performance and economy ... it is truely a nice package and well worth the sticker price.

If you can find one ... buy it!

Reply to
jclockard

I ordered my TDI Three months later they finally got something close to what I wanted. I accepted it, then they took off an additional $500 off the price. I never asked why, but I was happy.

I don't know if you generally save money by ordering and I believe VW has changed their made to order policy since 2002 when I got mine, but ask at your dealer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If possible get the DSG gearbox, this is a truly amazing gearbox and it is the only automatically operated gearbox that is a good match for a diesel engine.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

With the current price of fuel don't count on any discount! Also, the waiting list by now must be to the moon. If you want one better get to your dealer quickly!

Reply to
Woodchuck

VWoA doesn't let you order cars but they can basically put you in the system and when such a car arrives at port or whatever they can snag it for you (but it's not like your "order" goes to the factory and they build it or anything like that). So "how long" probably depends on what car you order (color, options,etc.) for one so equipped to show up.

Reply to
Matt B.

well thanks for the info, I'm really looking for a package 2 TDI but I can't find tehm anywhere. also I've NEVER paid sticker for any car Iv'e ever bought and neither has anyone in my family. I'd almost feel like a sucker doing that, (espically considering my brother girlfriend just got a jetta

2.5 for about 2500 under invoice) if I have to pay MSRP, I'd almost feel like I'm getting ripped off (I do understand the gas suitation though and basically cause of the small amount of these cars, they have us by the balls, great... give sleezy car dealers some MORE power...) Any idea how many TDI's are being made for 2006?
Reply to
Dr Nick

Hardly anybody pays the sticker price. Make them an offer that you feel is reasonable. If they don't accept it, go to another dealer. If no VW dealer in your area will accept it, forget VWs altogether and look for something else. There are plenty of reasonably priced cars to choose from, and in a variety of styles and performance.

Reply to
Papa

"Papa" wrote

Best time to buy is at the end of the month when they are trying to get their quotas AND if you can find out that a manager like a General Manager or Sales Manager somehow is putting car sales numbers up to win a trip or other spiff. Find a new young salesperson and ask them if anyone is on spiffs in management coming up or now trying to get numbers up. I have seen new VWs go for a hundred bucks or so over cost with the manager trying to get up numbers. Wait a month or two if something is coming up like this in the dealership and go at the end of the month. Get a list of dealer costs for the car and accessories so you can make an intelligent bid. IF your bid is not intelligent the dealership does not care if you walk out sticking to it they get these all day. I can't tell you how many times when I sold new VWs people gave a offer BELOW dealer cost and thought it was generous then walked. All day. Remember you are not, though it is your hard earned money, doing anything amazing by walking in and making a offer. It has to be intelligent.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I am confident that the VW dealer has *several* models available with something off of sticker. Perhaps if you bought a TDI and a Touareg as a package deal, he would be glad to deal. ;-)

Reply to
Tom's VR6

here's what i know.......the touareg would command a pretty sizable discount from msrp or a "buy down" interest rate on financing while the tdi [any tdi] will go for only sticker IF you're lucky enough to find one; if you find a dealer in the usa that, as of today [9-08-05] is discounting his tdi from msrp [not the adjacent add-on sticker]; immediately purchase and start to look for another dealer to service it, 'cause he won't be in business within 90 days![something is bad wrong there] no judgement call here, just the facts!

Reply to
euro930