Power Windows

Greetings all,

My '91 Passat has experienced a total failure of the power window system. Fuse #14 is OK. Power window circuit breaker is in location 21 ( per Bentley ) which supplies power to the power window control unit. Those two units are not readily apparent to me. Can anyone share some information regarding this? One window is partially open ( that's when everything quit). What is an appropriate method to supply power to the said unit to close it?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Fraser Raleigh, NC '85 GLI '91 Passat '05 Kenworth

Reply to
D'Elbow

I will have to check again on my 91, but the power window control unit might be under the rear seat on the left side. There might be a relay for the power windows also. Maybe this is the 'breaker' you are referring to. Are there any fuse high up the fuse box near the relays?

So I will assume that no windows are working. Do the external mirrors work? Does the sunroof work? Does anything else electrical not function? Do the windows roll up with the driver's door lock, turning the key to lock and holding it in that position?

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

be under the rear seat on the left side.

'breaker' you are referring to. Are there any fuse high up the fuse box near the relays?

and holding it in that position? hullo one of many, Went on a 'search and destroy' mission this afternoon. Removed the knee bar to get a better view of the fuse box/ relay panel and discovered that there is no upper relay panel for this car. There is a 'clip-on' auxiliary fan relay and perhaps three other fuses. Visited T-Hoff, Dealer, and local mechanic to gather information as to where VW might have hidden the stuff. T-Hoff said get the part # and we'll see if there's a re-man unit. OK, when I find the offending part I'll let you know sumpin'. The dealer was no better. His library for early '90s vehicles was wiped out by Hurricane Fran. Local mechanic said "Bring it in, so I can look at it." When I got back to the house, I lifted the back seat cushion... and found a suspicious black box.

PN 375 959 875 I betcha that's the power window control unit. It has pictograms on it that favor relays. Could it be?

Yes, the windows do not work.....still. No how, no way.

Other electrical items work well. Fan, mirrors, sunroof...

Thanks,

Bruce Fraser '91 Passat Wagon

Reply to
D'Elbow

I will check and try to see what that box is. I'll also study on it some too! You could probably find a used one from other Passat owner. You have to test the wiring at the control unit though just to be safe. If you disconnect that unit will the windows work or maybe try tapping on it lightly? Just hoping. Or you might be able to supply power and ground to that window that is partially down and get it back up. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the replies. I've got to drive the KW tomorrow. So I suppose the wife will get the instructions to go ahead and have it fixed. Would druther browse a junkyard for a unit. Ah well, it's only money.

Regards, Bruce Fraser '85 GLI '91 Passat Wag>

Reply to
D'Elbow