Problem with 2001 Passat diagnostic computer

Hi all,

Have a 2001.5 Passat with Monsoon stereo. About a month ago I had Crutchfield

install a Pioneer DEH-P4600MP CDreceiver. We live near Crutchfield, so used their install service. About 1week after the stereo installation, the "check engine light" came on. Wehave brought the car to the dealer (which I don't trust) and an independentshop (which I do). The independent shop is unable to read the codes for theCEL, even with what they say is a PC based software emulator of the VWengine analyzer. Bother VW and the independent shop blame the problem onthe radio and/or the installation of the radio. The Crutchfiled servicemanager is willing to look into to it if the shop can tell him "what wirethey cut" or otherwise messed with. Has anyone else had this problem. The shop told me that "you should never put an aftermarket radio in a new car[meaning a new VW]" because of the sensitivity of the data bus and the computer.

Any thoughts on how I can resolve this? Anyone else had this problem? How was it resolved?

Bart

Reply to
BRN

Alec

Yep I bet $5 they wired it up wrong. Aftermarket radio installers have a habbit or grounding the CAN-Bus which kills all communication with the cars systems.

independent

Reply to
Woodchuck

So I did what it says in the link below as far as the "K" lead is concerned. Voltage does not register (0) and the resister never go hot. Does this mean that the radio is unlikely the culprit, or could they have messed something else up in the install.

Reply to
BRN

Or they grounded the k-line wire and in that case no voltage will be present. I have seen them both ways.

Reply to
Lost In Space