Replacement for stock 92 Passat radio w/ActivX

I have a pair of 92 Passat GLs with the stock VW AM/FM/Cassette radio with the ActivX sound system. Does anyone know if a new Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD would be a replacement for them?

I'm asking because my son was driving one of them, and unknown to me, got a Sony with indash CD and had it installed.

The installation appeared to have worked ok, but then we discovered that it killed the cruise control (radio off, cruise works; turn radio on, cruise drops off-line), and later that it also appears to have eventually destroyed the Transmission Control Module and the little resistor unit on the speedo that is part of the cruise as well. $1200 later, the TCM, cruise, etc all work and the original radio is back in the car.

We acquired a 96 Passat GLS for him and I got a Blaupunkt radio (AM/FM/CD) from Crutchfield - they claimed it needed an adaptor harness, we found that when you pulled out the original radio, all the existing plugs matched up to the sockets and pinouts on the radio and it plugged right in as a 15 minute exchange with everything working perfectly afterward.

I am considering a Blaupunkt Bermuda or Syracuse. Crutchfield has them and claims that they will fit the car, but that I will need a special adaptor harness to install them - since I didn't with the last one, I don't know if I would with this one either. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations on this? I would REALLY like to get something like the current AM/FM/Cassette/CD unit you can get on the new Passats but I can't find one from Blaupunkt.

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo

The important thing, whether it is a VW radio or one by Sony or any other brand, is to get it wired up correctly. A VW radio will zap those other circuits just as readily as any other unless you do.

Reply to
Papa

Yah - that's why I went with the Blaupunkt for the 96, it had all the pinouts and plugs matching what the car already had in it. Should have made self a drawing of the 92 VW radio while I had it out so I could compare it to a later one....

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo