protector mounts are terrible --has anyone re-worked this thing?

The mounts are lousy --- it is a horrible design. The mounting screws do not connect solidly, at least not mine. The screws lock in (sort of) after a half turn, and give me no confidence. Also, why plastic? That doesn't seem like a good idea. And finally, some of the clips the screws lock into are really flimsy. Perhaps the design I am working with (2000) was improved?

I'm going to try to make this better somehow. I'm going to use better clips for attaching the screws to, and I am hoping to using some kind of wing nut design for screws to eliminate the need for a screwdriver when removing. Any ideas here?

mp

2000 Passat Wgn 48k
Reply to
Mike P

If I am hearing you right, your only problem is your lack of confidence, or did I miss something? I have not had any problems with mine and I have not heard of any, but I may have missed it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan