R & R right CV joint.

On a 90 Golf, is it mandatory to remove the ball joint or can it be done without removing it.

Reply to
Dave

I had to remove the 1 bolt that attaches the bearing housing to the ball joint, then push the A arm down to free it from the housing. Then you'll have lots of room to work. If you remove the 3 bolts that hold the ball joint to the A arm your looking at an alignment.

Reply to
Eric Rupert

I have never had success in separating the ball joint from the bearing housing (on an A2) not finding any good place to put a pry bar or whatever. I've always ended up removing the 3 bolts on the lower control arm. What do you pry against, or is there some other "trick" to separating the ball joint from the bearing housing? Don't have to do it right now, but I imagine I will again before too long. Thanks.

Denny Straussfogel Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

I've had success with inserting a small chisel in the slot on the bearing housing where the pinch bolt was. Use a hammer to lightly tap the chisel into the slot. That will spead the "arms" that grip the ball joint and break it loose. You still might need a gentle bit of prying with a big screwdriver, but I've yet to have one not come loose. When re-installing I use a bit of anti-seize on the ball joint to keep it from rusting into the housing.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 260,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 527,000 miles

Reply to
racertod