Re: 88 Jetta lights

Ingo is correct on the parking lamp thing although I'm surprised that a US

> or Canadian spec VW was wired this way. The US spec ones definitely were > not and to my knowledge the Canadian ones weren't either (Canadian and US > spec VWs were pretty much the same in terms of lighting due to similar > lighting regulations and requirements except for permitting both Euro and US > headlamps and VWoA kept US headlamps on all US and Canadian models from the > factory). Are you sure you don't have a Euro-market car that someone > privately imported into North America? Or one that was US/Canadian but > modified to be more like the Euro ones? I'm also thinking that you have a > Eurospec model on your hands if the marker bulb is *inside* the headlamp. > VW put combined the marker bulb in the bumper with the turn signal on US and > Canadian models.

Thought so. I'm actually not in either US or Canada, and I always wondered why you guys have both the front turning signals always turned on in your photos. Now I understand that it's the marker lamp. On my Jetta, the marker lamp is indeed located inside the main headlamp as a whole unit.

On the 3rd brake light thing, it's either wired wrong as Ingo said or > there's something wrong with the ground circuit. Peel back your trunk > carpeting in the corners and look for a batch of ground wires (will probably > be brown in color and may be bunched together in more than one wire per > bundle) and they should all secure to the car's body, usually in a ring > terminal with a screw through it. There may be bundle each side. When the > 3rd brake light and/or the turn signal bulb flashes, is it the correct > brightness or is it dimmer than it should be? If it's the same brightness > as normal, it's probably wired wrong with the incorrect 12V source. If it's > dimmer than normal, it's probably a ground issue.

I fixed the 3rd brake light, BTW, it was wired incorrectly. There are some extra contact points on the tail lights circuitry, and I wired the 3rd brake light from the brake light circuit, and it all works nicely.

David

Reply to
David Lo