A2 Rear Fog Lights

Question: Did A2s ever have Rear Fog Lights, and can they be added on like the A3s?

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Yes they did...in Europe of course.

It's harder to add on a Golf/GTI compared to a Jetta because the Jetta more or less has similar taillamps to the Euro model and it's a question of rigging the bulb holder (or getting new bulb holders) to accomodate the bulb and swapping a few bulbs around.

On the Golf/GTI you need new rear lamps entirely because the current US/Canada ones have 4 chambers and the Euro ones have 5 chambers.

Jetta (US):

Outer = tail Center = reflector/no lamp Inner = brake

Jetta (Euro):

Outer = brake Center = reflector/tail, and yes it's *tiny* Inner = rear fog (driver's side) or blank (passenger's side)

Golf/GTI (US): Outer = brake and tail Inner = brake and tail

Golf/GTI (Euro): Outer = brake Center = reflector/tail Inner = rear fog (driver's side) or blank (passenger's side)

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks Matt...

So here's my next question.....what do I have to do in order to get a rear fog light on my Jetta?

Reply to
Peter Cressman

fog light on my Jetta?

Haven't worked on a Jetta myself, but if I had to guess (and from what I've heard...):

  1. You need a new bulbholder (easy) or modify your old one (harder). For example: a. Go to
    b. Click on Mk2 G/J Lighting c. Click on the Jetta Mk2 Euro bulb holder to see it up close.
  2. Drill out a hole behind the reflector (center bottom of taillamp) portion of the lamp...there may be a faint circle already cast into the plastic if it's currently blocked off. The hole won't be that big either...it's where your taillamp will be moved to and the taillamp bulb is a little smaller than the others.
  3. With the new bulb holder, move the wiring around in your taillamp plug harness so that brake is on the outside, tail is in the (new) center hole, and rear fog will be in the inside (will need a new wire for this). Move the bulbs around too as needed and buy a new P21W bulb (same as the brake lamp or reverse lamp or turn signal lamp) for your rear fog.
  4. Run a wire from the rear fog in the plug to the desired switch on the car (you may need to buy a switch if you don't already have one). Buy a OEM fog switch so it looks factory. Cullen probably has these too, even if they aren't pictured. The car may already have a wire (my '91 GTI did) but I had trouble tracing it so I gave up and just spliced into it. It was gray/white. This seems to be a common color for VW to use on rear fogs (my
2000 Eurovan used a gray/white wire too for the rear fog).
  1. Make sure you add an inline fuse as well just to be safe. For a 21W bulb you won't need much...a 2-amp fuse should be fine.
Reply to
Matt B.