Re: '98 Passat Headlight upgrade options ?

> I think that the lenses on my 98 Passat's headlights are too diffused. > > Will later model headlight modules swap out with these?

Up through early 2001 will, but it won't gain you anything.

What are some places where I can shop for alternative headlights?

(or maybe it's ndimports.com...I forgetexactly). I've seen the real HIDs there too (expensive though). Real Euroheadlamps for the Passat (non-HID) may not be all that much greater than theUS ones since they use the same H7 bulb on low beam and it's really a matterof minor optical tweaking on the lens for the US beam, which does somewhatresemble the Euro one already. Not sure if/when VW started wiring their headlamps with relays but check yo voltage at the lamps. If it's less than 13 with the engine running, a new relayed headlamp harness will probably help a little bit. If it's over 13 already, a relay harness won't gain you much.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
doesthisblockpork?

snipped-for-privacy@hellno.com sez:

< Up through early 2001 will, but it won't gain you < anything. >>

Aren't there gas discharge bulbs with better lenses available in '01?

thx,

stv

Reply to
TarBabyTunes

The Passat got a new front end with new headlamps in mid '01 thru the current one.

They're halogen but use an ellipsoidal reflector instead of parabolic. The only one's that are HID gas discharge are the ones on the W8.

Neither of these are going to fit your '98 unless you start buying new body panels and fascia to go with it.

Reply to
Matt B.